Bevel Suggestion

7568   18   0
216 posts
First of all I would like to thank you the developer to the effort they did to this new version (15.5) of the bevel that already brings a lot and which I hope is still evolving.

So, I would like to suggest some improvements to the new bevel SOP.
But before make an RFE I would like to know your opinion about these.

1) Hard edges option with automatic edge selection controls
I don't how quickly make some specifics edges as “hard edge” in houdini but in Sofimage, we have an option “Mark HardEdge/Vertex” which adapts the normal of an object.
And to get back to the bevel, we have in Soft this option included with automatic edge selection controls.

As It seem I can only add one attachement by post (Or I forgot something somewhere), I will make multiples messages.

Attachments:
markHardEdges.gif (103.4 KB)

216 posts
Soft example of hard edges : “Min angle for 2 edges juntion”

Attachments:
bevel_02a.gif (60.5 KB)

216 posts
Soft example of hard edges : “On 3+ edges juntions”

Attachments:
bevel_02b.gif (84.9 KB)

216 posts
Soft example of hard edges : All options

Attachments:
bevel_03.gif (97.3 KB)

216 posts
2) better Split Over All Incident Edges, or at least another option to make more clean corner :
- A: with better round angle circle
- B: preserve the main edges alignment

Attachments:
bevel_04.jpg (73.5 KB)

216 posts
3) add a Manage Collisions option

Attachments:
bevel_05.gif (221.5 KB)

216 posts
4) Add a quick amount extrapolation
A sort of “profile scale” option that we have with the “Profile” Shape option, but directly with the “Round” Shape option :
More straightforward and without the need to shape a profile curve.

On the new version of Maya, there are also a lot improvements on the bevel, perhaps some good ideas to take.
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-maya-blog/maya-2016-extension-2-technical-modeling-improvements [area.autodesk.com]
If there is a motivated maya guy around, he could probably add other supplement suggestions (That would be cool ).

Attachments:
bevel_06.gif (78.5 KB)

174 posts
@julca you're right, the new bevel tool IMO would be in a better state with at least #2 & #3, that's two mandatory features to work correctly…
1755 posts
You've omitted the “Center” option in the first tab of the bevel PPG.
I've showcased all these bevel feature in a previous thread Before the current Houdini bevel was re-written.
216 posts
NNois
@julca you're right, the new bevel tool IMO would be in a better state with at least #2 & #3, that's two mandatory features to work correctly…
Happy that you're agree with this suggestions. On my side I use it really often (I mean bevel with this options) !

One more suggestion on which I restrained myself to to talk about and change my mind as I just use it today and realise that's yes it's a needed feature !
5) Add a center offset (gif attachment just talk himself)

Attachments:
bevel_07.gif (332.0 KB)

216 posts
McNistor
You've omitted the “Center” option in the first tab of the bevel PPG.
I've showcased all these bevel feature in a previous thread Before the current Houdini bevel was re-written.
Hey ! I write my post about that at the same time !
Staff
2540 posts
julca
1) Hard edges option with automatic edge selection controls
I don't how quickly make some specifics edges as “hard edge” in houdini but in Sofimage, we have an option “Mark HardEdge/Vertex” which adapts the normal of an object.
And to get back to the bevel, we have in Soft this option included with automatic edge selection controls.

I don't know if we have a direct vertex normal cusp. Please submit an RFE for this.

But this technique does work where you select edges, do an Edge Cusp SOP, then follow blindly with Normal SOP then Fuse SOP.
Edited by old_school - May 30, 2016 17:32:29

Attachments:
edge_cusp.jpg (173.6 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
216 posts
jeff
I don't know if we have a direct vertex normal cusp. Please submit an RFE for this.

But this technique does work where you select edges, do an Edge Cusp SOP, then follow blindly with Normal SOP then Fuse SOP.
Thanks for the tip jeff ! It's not the most simplest way (as it is a bit “destructive” : disconnect/reconnect edges just to adjust normal vertex) but it can do the job.
I'll post an RFE.
216 posts
Ok Here are the Bevel RFE's ID :
1) hard edge with selection controls : #75761
2) Split Over All Incident Edges : #75760
3) manage collisions : #75759
4) quick amount extrapolation : #75758
5) center offset : #75757

bonus) direct vertex normal cusp (= mark hard edge) : #75752

Now fingers crossed !
1265 posts
julca
Ok Here are the Bevel RFE's ID :

4) quick amount extrapolation : #75758

bonus) direct vertex normal cusp (= mark hard edge) : #75752

Now fingers crossed !

#4 can easily be achieved by using profile to flip bevels.

Attachments:
bevel_flip.gif (2.9 MB)

Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
216 posts
Werner Ziemerink
#4 can easily be achieved by using profile to flip bevels.
Yes and thank you for the demo, it can be done on profile side but you need to reshape profile curve point one by one (set position and nature of curve) before you can play with the “profile scale” param to achieve what you want.

But here I ask for a more straightforward method with the “round” shape option for all the major's simplest and recurrent cases :
That's resume in “just” expose a sort of “profile scale” to this “round” shape option without the need to manually shape a profile curve.
1755 posts
I'd argue that this feature is used seldom enough (please correct me if it's not the case for you, I'm talking from my experience here) so that a curve profile will do. This profile, is after all, a feature that's not found in XSI (ignored be the scripting/ICE part) hence a bonus.
We have to pick and choose our battles and this one, in my humble opinion is not one we have to wage.
216 posts
McNistor
We have to pick and choose our battles and this one, in my humble opinion is not one we have to wage.
Well, as it's a “bevel” thread, I'll just argue my point of view to be as clear as possible, no more.
And of course, this point (#4) it's far from the top of my/our request's list and the actual profile is, you're right, a really good bonus !

See you on another RFE !
Friendly.
  • Quick Links