H16 Autorig

4189   18   5
40 posts
Houdini 16

Hi

I am new to Houdini

I used new Autorig H16. After Generating Rig, done captured weight But

when I select COG-ctrl and move it down , the foot is ok,bending knee is ok but upper part bones stay there and the mesh

stretching???!!

what should I do ? I missed something to do!!!!
Edited by FarrokhSarram - March 31, 2017 13:02:38

Attachments:
H16-QR.png (379.2 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
the Spine module has a “Stretch” option, which is ON by default.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
40 posts
Thank You @arctor

I did what you said and it fixed, I had same problem with arms and head ctrl. In Network view, parented arms and head
controls to COG and those fixed too, I know there is also stretch option in arms but that not work!!! as it worked with spine!!!!

Thank Youuuu
Staff
3455 posts
I'd have to see your rig to know if there is an issue, can you attach your rig here?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
52 posts
Hi,

Just saw the masterclass on rigging and really enjoyed it! Thanks!
Nice walkthrough of the features, and even though the tool is very intuitive, the thinking behind it is even clearer now

However there are a few really big issues with the autorig, as of 16.0.557.
I'm sure you are aware of them but here are the main ones that essentialy make the rig unusable:

1. Hand does not follow the arm when in FK mode, and feet does not follow the legs.

2. Upper body does not follow when rotating COG

3. Upper body does not follow when translating COG

4. Head does not follow when scaling the MASTER

I've attached gifs and hipfile.

I must admit I find it a little strange that you are releasing the master class wiuthout fixing these obvious bugs. I love the tool, and it seems so thought out so it's a petty that we can't start playing around with it because of these bugs.

Is there an ETA on a fix?

-
Edited by alexsomma - April 3, 2017 02:26:45

Attachments:
AutoRig_FK.gif (739.8 KB)
AutoRig_CogRotate.gif (1.2 MB)
AutoRig_CogTranslate.gif (898.2 KB)
Autorig_MasterScale.gif (1.4 MB)
AutoRigBugged.hip (515.4 KB)

VFX Supervisor @ Helmet Films & Visual Effects
http://www.helmet.no [helmet.no]
Staff
3455 posts
alexsomma
1. Hand does not follow the arm when in FK mode, and feet does not follow the legs.
this was an oversight when building the matchIKFK features - and is being resolved now.
alexsomma
2. Upper body does not follow when rotating COG

3. Upper body does not follow when translating COG
there is a node called : Spine_chest_follow_COG
this node has a parameter called Weight1 - this controls the behaviour of the chest - it's wasn't promoted in the build code and this has been fix and will be in the next update
but you can promote the parameter now and use it to control if the chest follow the COG or not.

alexsomma
4. Head does not follow when scaling the MASTER

this will be fixed in the next update.

thanks for the feedback.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
52 posts
Great!

arctor
will be in the next update
Do you have an ETA?

What about the match IK / FK issues. Are they also being fixed for the next release?
Edited by alexsomma - April 3, 2017 11:54:08
655 posts
Thanks Michael for the info.

Really looking forward for the next iteration of the rigging system.
Staff
3455 posts
alexsomma
Great!

arctor
will be in the next update
Do you have an ETA?

What about the match IK / FK issues. Are they also being fixed for the next release?

the match FKIK issues will be fixed in the next update. I don't have an eta but it's what I'm doing right now
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
52 posts
Looking forward to it!
81 posts
I can only agree on all the former.
Really want to test, experiment and help out with feedback but factually this system is unusable in it's current form. So a masterclass on a default scenario/model gives an off impression about the status of development.
806 posts
> factually this system is unusable in it's current form.

Wow. Just WOW.

I wonder what I have been using all the time.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
81 posts
Hi Marc. I was specifically referring to the new autorig system which seems to have serious flaws, to be addressed in future updates. That makes it in my opinion not yet implementable. At least, I would not be able to figure out workarounds for the errors mentioned above.

Michiel
806 posts
Hi, Michiel,

well, I somehow got that. But the way you phrased it was suggesting that the new Autorig was generally useless - for everyone. I am not an employee of SideFX, but I am sure they too would have appreciated a wording like “useless to me” or “I cannot use it the way I want to”.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
81 posts
Well, indeed it is an impressive piece of work, the autorig, and a very welcome direction for animators and riggers wanting to work further with Houdini like myself.
The errors posted here and in other threads though are not, in my opinion, a matter of ‘taste’. They are that critical causing to consider the module not yet finished or polished enough. At least, I can't work with or around it without feeling severely handicapped, which can't be the purpose of this new direction.
Having to find workarounds for a tool which should have made life easier makes it for me indeed ‘useless’.
If the autorig would have been advertised as an experimental piece in beta, alas, but it is announced from the beginning as a full feature. Hence my humble being ringing the bells in the opinion that it is not yet the case. Not to complain or to mock but to help development and awareness.
I am fluent in riggging and animation and therefore can test quickly and with comparison. I do want to share therefore my findings and thoughts without restraints, to the greater benefit.
81 posts
BTW I am also dutch. I should be aware of the fact people from my country are often considered ‘direct’, which sometimes might be an euphemism for ‘rude’. I will try to choose my words more subtle.
Edited by mackerBaehr - April 19, 2017 15:37:04
806 posts
Jan Kees stand no chance, I am German, master of rudeness!
---
Good bye.
81 posts
We will not try to out-rude our bigger neighbour, ha
61 posts
Hello, I am struggling to do what weight capture to my autorig
Can you please share how you did it?

Thanks
FarrokhSarram
Houdini 16

Hi

I am new to Houdini

I used new Autorig H16. After Generating Rig, done captured weight But

when I select COG-ctrl and move it down , the foot is ok,bending knee is ok but upper part bones stay there and the mesh

stretching???!!

what should I do ? I missed something to do!!!!
  • Quick Links