Sudden houdini crashes

3753   8   1
50 posts
Hello,
I am getting sudden crashes from houdini, at an average of 1 per 1-2 hrs but various a lot. The problem is that I am not doing tasking commands like 5 levels of subdivision at once, that crashes all 3d programs . I am just changing node inputs of rather basic geometry of no more than 100 points.
Although there is one crash that I can reproduce all the time. And that's when I click help for anything inside houdini. I am not getting an error box or anything unlike the other crashes I get.
But I got to say, loading houdini in 5sec makes things less frustrating unlike 3ds max for example.

I am currently running Houdini 16.0.504.20 on:
windows 10
cpu i5-4460
mobo gigabyte ga-z97x-gaming-3
gpu gtx770
2537 posts
It looks like you have a gaming rig. Are you overclocking it? Are you monitoring heat?

Houdini should not crash when you click help. You may want to report that to support@sidefx.com
Edited by Enivob - April 13, 2017 08:53:53
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
50 posts
That chip is not overclockable, (the oc mobo is a long story). But if i were OCing aggressively i would be getting system crashes rather than just houdini crashes.
I also forgot to mention i have a second gpu in the system a GTX 960. Obviously not in sli but in parellel for rendering.
So i don't report something old i`ll wait a little more to see if anyone has experienced my problem and then report it
Staff
1255 posts
Hello,

If you submit a bug report would it be possible to attach the crash log for the crash?

Crash logs are saved into your temp directory which on Windows I believe is at C:/Users/myUsers/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp.

Cheers,
Rob
50 posts
Most certainly. I can attach the scenes files along side the crash logs if it helps. They are about 1mb total.
Staff
3455 posts
a crash log would help
but you may also want to update to the latest Production Build (or daily build)
https://www.sidefx.com/download/daily-builds/ [sidefx.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2041 posts
For this one:
And that's when I click help for anything inside houdini.

It's not likely your system as this happens to me for any help I click on too.

And I have already reported a bug for it, but it would be helpfull to report it too as it shows to support that it's not something unique about a users system.
2537 posts
Hmm.. a second GPU. Have you checked that your power supply can handle such a load?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
50 posts
I`ll give the latest build a shot and see how it goes.
I am certain my PSU can handle both GPUs at full load. Have rendered with them using vray-rt without a problem. But that's irrelevant, they are near idle when I am working with houdini, I never said I am rendering, just simple modeling.
  • Quick Links