Booleans shatter problem

2486   6   1
10 posts
Hello everyone !
I'm having some issues trying to “booleans-shatter” an unpacked terrain with several grids. ( input A : solid, input B : surface, Detriangulate : No-polygons )
The two first booleans work well but the third one gives me weird results and some warning about “nonmanifold edges in solid A”.
After some forum research I tried polydoctor, polyreduce, fuse, divide, clean, but nothing seems to work ( maybe I'm not doing it well, this is very likely… )
Does anyone of you already had this problem ?
Thank you in advance

Network View

Geo to shatter

Template of the cutting geo

Result so far

Infos :
Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Houdini Apprentice Non Commercial 17.5.173
GeForce GTX 1060 Nvidia Driver 390
Edited by Loic_Mattern - April 25, 2019 04:18:17

Attachments:
Capture du 2019-04-24 18-57-04.png (237.5 KB)
Capture du 2019-04-24 18-57-37.png (193.0 KB)
Capture du 2019-04-24 18-58-06.png (216.8 KB)
Capture du 2019-04-25 10-13-25.png (24.8 KB)

731 posts
Have you tried converting to VDB and back to poly again before running it through your loop?
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
310 posts
I assume it's a problem with the geometry you are trying to shatter. Try the same cutters on a simpler piece of geometry, and see if the problem persists.
2040 posts
You probably have to make sure the normals are set ‘right’ after each loop operation before your objects get input into the boolean sop.

I see you have an attribute randomize (what attributes are you randomize? ) and also an attribute vop ( what are you doing in that vop?)…maybe in one of those two is causing a flip in normals which throws off the boolean sop operation.

Perhaps post hip and someone can help you.
10 posts
Thank you for you answer BabaJ

BabaJ
I see you have an attribute randomize (what attributes are you randomize? ) and also an attribute vop ( what are you doing in that vop?)…maybe in one of those two is causing a flip in normals which throws off the boolean sop operation.

Indeed, I randomize the normal of each point so that each grid isn't oriented the same way.
For the attribute vop I simply use a turbulent noise that I add to the Position of each point, but on the screenshot above it was disabled.

BabaJ
You probably have to make sure the normals are set ‘right’ after each loop operation before your objects get input into the boolean sop.

So, I should add an normal after unpacking my geo and just after my copy to point ?

Attachments:
seism.hipnc (1.1 MB)

10 posts
Midasssilver
I assume it's a problem with the geometry you are trying to shatter. Try the same cutters on a simpler piece of geometry, and see if the problem persists.

Yeah I think this too, I tried with a simple box and it works very well.
10 posts
mrCatfish
Have you tried converting to VDB and back to poly again before running it through your loop?

Wooooow thank you so much mrCatfish it woooorks !
Edited by Loic_Mattern - April 25, 2019 18:44:56
  • Quick Links