VOPs: Build array from multple inputs

1661   5   2
192 posts
Hi there,

How do we build an array in VOPs from multple arguments/inputs?
I see this old VOP exist, but is hidden/not supported anymore.
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/vop/buildarray.html [www.sidefx.com]

Thanks,
Edited by OdFotan - June 18, 2021 05:20:37
192 posts
Learned how to use the Inline VOP, and there I can do it..
Still don't understand why they did remove the VOP node though. :/
Edited by OdFotan - June 18, 2021 06:03:18

Attachments:
Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 11.59.53.png (347.2 KB)

Staff
1450 posts
Build Array VOP was used just for RenderMan shaders, and never actually generated any valid VEX code. It got hidden because Renderman for Houdini bridge supplies its own HDA.
7814 posts
rafal
Build Array VOP was used just for RenderMan shaders, and never actually generated any valid VEX code. It got hidden because Renderman for Houdini bridge supplies its own HDA.

The VEX node for this is called append array. There is another VEX node with an extensible input connection that deals with arrays, although in the narrow case of layer exports in mantra shaders. Is there a reason a generic array building/extending node with a variable input list can't be added for VEX?
Staff
1450 posts
Is there a reason a generic array building/extending node with a variable input list can't be added for VEX?
No real reason. And IIRC, "Build Array" was supposed to be extended to be used in VEX builders, eventually. I found RFE 96907 for it. It just does not get prioritized high enough, given some workarounds.
8599 posts
it would be great if VOP HDAs were extended generally to allow multiinputs of the same type, so that artists can create nodes like Add or Mult or Build Array themselves
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links