Old School Blog

19807   28   6
523 posts
Hello ,

when can we expect the second part of the great CHOPs Deforming Geometry chapter ?

Nice work and understandable for everyone !

thanks in advance,

bern
1631 posts
In the comments of the chapter, Jeff said:
The second istallment should be up early next week. I'll be focusing on the LookUp CHOP. An awesome tool as you will see soon.

Cheers!
steven
Staff
2540 posts
Busy week last week. Working on it today. That and a few others!
There's at least one school like the old school!
523 posts
Hello Jeff,

Many thanks ! I'm addicted to your blog …

bern
523 posts
CHOPS Part 2…please…

thanks in advance and best greetings,

bern
Staff
2540 posts
It is so long that it is now going to be Part2 and Part3.

Completed it last night. Real nice water waves in the final file. Lots of alternate example files as well.

Part 2 will be posted soon. Very soon.
523 posts
Jeff, you are fantastic!

Many thanks,

bern
50 posts
Man I LOVE U! :shock:
“Don't just look for what you think you will find”

-That CSI guy
2624 posts
Great stuff jeff keep them coming ….. any chance we could have 2 vids
a week ?
Gone fishing
Staff
3455 posts
I'd prefer 1 post a week if it was /every/ week…rather than attempt 2 a week and not get any…
you know I really love the Blog Jeff…and I know how busy you are…but these kinds of things are just too easy to get excited about (grand plans etc) only to see them fall by the wayside…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
Staff
2540 posts
I am now aiming for one a week. If I make them long enough, I get two!

Two separeate ones is a big agressive for me right now. I don't want to sacrifice quality for quantity. In the next two CHOPs posts, there will be lots of alternate example files to demonstrate various approaches.
537 posts
Jeff your old-school blog has motivated me to redu this asset in using CHOPs and Lookup tables and also make a video tutorial for it (mainly for myself so I don't forget how to use it in a month).

Thanks for doing old school blog, expecially with CHOPs … maybe if enough users get into them they will get updated For those interested:

warning NC asset

asset
http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/help/sops/alowell_interaction_distanceImpactAttributeNC.otl [andrew-lowell-productions.com]

video tutorial
http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/help/sops/cust_interaction_distanceImpactAttributeHelp.mov [andrew-lowell-productions.com]
401 posts
:shock:

The chops for themselves look really impressive.

Georg
this is not a science fair.
523 posts
andrewlowell
Jeff your old-school blog has motivated me to redu this asset in using CHOPs and Lookup tables and also make a video tutorial for it (mainly for myself so I don't forget how to use it in a month).

Thanks for doing old school blog, expecially with CHOPs … maybe if enough users get into them they will get updated For those interested:

warning NC asset

asset
http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/help/sops/alowell_interaction_distanceImpactAttributeNC.otl [andrew-lowell-productions.com]

video tutorial
http://www.andrew-lowell-productions.com/andrew-lowell-productions/help/sops/cust_interaction_distanceImpactAttributeHelp.mov [andrew-lowell-productions.com]

“Lookup Tables” …

Is chops part 2 online yet, cause I don't find it ?

thanks,

bern
55 posts
I wil expect “ chop part2”….

Jeff's lecture is a kind of drama….(ex:prison break…^^)

and

I want to expect “vex shader making node”…not programming…^^

thanks…
523 posts
when is the next blog?

thanks,

bern
Staff
2540 posts
It's coming. More reworking. Now it is three entries.

CHOPs are just sooo deep. Needed to build more example files and comment them. All is good.
523 posts
Hello Jeff,

Sorry I'm sooo impatient.

Three parts, man…I love , love, love it!

many thanks and greetings,

bern
252 posts
Chops are really the most powerful and underutilized feature in Houdini. I am so glad you are doing this and I am learning a lot.

I've always felt that CHOPs would get used so much more if there was a simpler workflow. Like RMB on a line in your SOP Parameters with animated channels (like the “Translate” line in the “Transform” SOP perhaps) and click on a new option “Export to CHOPs” which would take you right to CHOPs all set up with the proper path/channel inputs, etc. and then the last CHOP in the chain with the Export flag set would automatically over-ride the channels that were initially selected in SOP-land. Likewise, clicking on a SOP node would allow you to “Export to CHOPs” and it would automatically set up the Geometry CHOP properly. The old method and workflow should be maintained, but this would get new users using CHOPs quicker with less head scratching.

Anyway, is there any chance your Blog Tutorials get included in the sidefx.com Tutorials section so the general public has a greater chance of being exposed to them?

-Craig
Staff
2540 posts
I will do my best to influence R&D to both take the entries and reformat in to the docs and glean the example files and format them as example files for the various operators.

The blog really allows me to react quickly to demands we see in support. I throw out ideas so everyone can grab them, including our own doc department.

I am picking on CHOPs and VOPs early for the very reasons you mention. POPs follows up very closely. Then there is SOPs…

As for enhanced integration of CHOPs, yes. We have been wanting to integrate them much tighter in to the rest of the product since they were first introduced. This is a big project and not in the immediate future.

For now, CHOPs are still there waiting to be used. The next three posts will throw out a bunch of example files for you all to study and play with.
  • Quick Links