Sidefx, Houdini's users Is there any hope to....

2496   10   1
255 posts
To make more easy to extend the HDA tool's interface possibility?

Python state it arrived late in Houdini, but it's great progress now how could you get we are still far away from what is it possible to do Blender's in a relatively acceptable time.

For example, how could you have your HDA interface popup near the mouse arrow? or how to have a popup window with an asset library?

I might have miss something, but i feel frustrated to give my artists tools that don't have all the smooth ergonomy i would expect in 2023. Some new developpement to extend HDA tool interface will be welcomed, and hopefully without an overcomplicated way

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (51.3 KB)

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
54 posts
UI/UX is one of the Houdinis weakest point from artist point of view (mayby coders/technical persons dont see it becouse of lack of good taste and sense of aesthetics? who knows

Houdini UI is so generic, old, borring, ugly and all over place that is simply not accaptable for many artist that chose other 3d software instead.

Same applys to HDAs.

i wish it ll be possible to make custom cool looking interfaces for HDA but more importantly for control rigs for animators that are on floating windows and also on screen as HUD (Head Up display)

Attachments:
HUD.jpg (68.6 KB)

255 posts
Yes , and nothing new here isn'it for rigging, it's more than cool, it's very undeniably useful and for everyone

Is there at least some Python hack that could without dealing deeply into the HDK allow me to display some thumbnails pictures of my menu list? And eventually to have a special window being open with all items to scroll and select one?

Do my words and need make sense? Have you done it?

I guess many of us will be happy to be able to build some better tool with this kind of possibility more directly linked to houdini current HDA dev and will make Houdini even more artistic friendly ...
255 posts
Yes, for my question, my friend more into pipeline than the departement i m leading , WaffleboyTom pointed me to pypanel and the example done by excellent egMatLib

https://github.com/eglaubauf/egMatLib/blob/main/img/Houdini.png [github.com]

Look as well at its great snippets manager!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgGrZ0-iYRg&start=1 [www.youtube.com]
444 posts
I just hope there to be more documents/tutorials about how to costumize Python states. I know the power is there but I'm too afraid to touch it. And I say this as someone who wrote more than 10k lines of Blender python addons.
255 posts
Most of responsability is driving the procedural design Rnd for my actual client, i didn't grew up with a python around my head , but for python panel, there are some good starting template you could look around

Some could be the the sidefx USD assetgallery.py
located here or some misc repo

But it is still not a solution i will like to go in most case, i will rather like Sidefx to extend the current possibility we have right now

Attachments:
tmp.png (21.8 KB)
tmp2.png (207.6 KB)

238 posts
raincole
I just hope there to be more documents/tutorials about how to costumize Python states. I know the power is there but I'm too afraid to touch it. And I say this as someone who wrote more than 10k lines of Blender python addons.

Isn't this enough? Paul's course should cover exactly what you need to do.
python states [ambrosiussen.gumroad.com]
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
444 posts
lewis_T
raincole

Well I meant the official ones. But perhaps I'll take a look at this.

That being said it's a €250 tutorial...
Edited by raincole - Sept. 10, 2023 01:10:14
238 posts
raincole
lewis_T
raincole

Well I meant the official ones. But perhaps I'll take a look at this.

That being said it's a €250 tutorial...

Paul worked for sidefx for a while, I hear you, but full python states are not something every second user is going to
need to know anything about. I would be going down the road of those tuts if I were rolling things out for a Dept,
which is what was originally asked.

As far sidefx ones, for free.

python states [www.sidefx.com]

States examples

state examples [www.sidefx.com]

Would they be enough for someone that has written 10k lines of python?
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
444 posts
lewis_T
As far sidefx ones, for free.

python states [www.sidefx.com]

States examples

state examples [www.sidefx.com]

I guess I should take more time re-reading these carefully. Last time I checked I just felt it's so complicated compared to Blender's and I gave up. But thinking twice Blender's equivalent (modal) is quite a headache as well... I just spent too much time on it and got used to it (maybe cause by the time I was younger and more eager to learn new stuff, sigh).
Edited by raincole - Sept. 10, 2023 03:12:32
122 posts
Take a simple goal even if it's purely for practice. Though could be more efficient of you'll try to solve an actual problem. Still try to create something really simple, like just a control with dragging or something

I'd suggest to check examples bundled in houdini. It can be overlooked in docs, but basically go to Viewer State Browser, it's a Pane Tab under Inspectors and click File->Load Examples

It also loads Demo Viewer States shelf where you can load and inspect every examples. They're pretty good, small and cover pretty much every aspect.

As for general extensibility it's basically limitless. Though it does require qt skills, without them it's hard. However I think qt plugins makes more sense right now, knowledge is transferable and there are tons of tutorials. You can basically practice by building PySide apps.
For me this one wins over blender or omniverse even though for simple stuff custom api can be less verbose.

Attachments:
vspane.png (161.4 KB)
shelve.png (72.8 KB)

• Quick Links