A Comprehensive Feature List Between Karma XPU + Redshift

3591   32   2
60 posts
antc
tbay312
When it comes to user experience, the workflow quirks come from the combination of Solaris / LOPS and USD rather than just USD itself. In that way, I agree - assuming that USD always translates the scenes perfectly from obj --> USD... which, I don't think is always the case.

Just for correctness sake - USD never translates anything from obj --> USD, Houdini does.

Yes, that was a typo.
60 posts
TwinSnakes007
Next RS release will have some long requested features, a few of them are huge.

One thing RS currently doesn’t have is support for Clone.

Hey @TwinSnakes007 ,

I'm having some trouble looking up this "Clone" that you mentioned. What is that referring to exactly?
126 posts
tbay312
TwinSnakes007

Hey @TwinSnakes007 ,

I'm having some trouble looking up this "Clone" that you mentioned. What is that referring to exactly?

Some info here https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini20.0/ref/panes/clonecontrol.html [www.sidefx.com]
60 posts
Heileif
tbay312
TwinSnakes007

Hey @TwinSnakes007 ,

Some info here https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini20.0/ref/panes/clonecontrol.html [www.sidefx.com]

Ahh right, I gotcha - thanks for the link
60 posts
One last thing - From my understanding Karma XPU...

* Doesn't have AMD GPU Support
* Doesn't have Metal GPU support on Mac OS
* Partially supports Out-of-Core rendering via texture eviction

Is that correct at the moment?
126 posts
tbay312
One last thing - From my understanding Karma XPU...

* Doesn't have AMD GPU Support
* Doesn't have Metal GPU support on Mac OS
* Partially supports Out-of-Core rendering via texture eviction

Is that correct at the moment?

Seems almost correct to me.

XPU does support more than out of core textures.

Not sure if I remember 100% correctly but I think Brian Sharpe [www.sidefx.com] mentioned that primvars can go out of core to.

Edit:
I found the post https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/93361/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by Heileif - March 16, 2024 11:27:31
636 posts
tbay312
And no, I don't believe this comparison is too early. SideFX has announced that XPU is "gold," which means that it should be able to compete with other software packages for its place in production pipelines, and it's been publicly released for about 5 years now.

Just as a small note Karma XPU was first released as alpha in H19 (oct 2021). That is about 2.5 years ago. Karma CPU was released about 5 years ago (H18 with solaris).
Same sqme but diffrent

Maybe you can have a talk with the XPU main developer brian sharpe?
604 posts
One thing I love about Karma is how fault tolerant XPU is : if a GPU device fails during rendering, you are almost always still guaranteed a frame will be produced by the other device(s).

Redshift has a much broader range of device support, over Karma, but I haven’t compared this particular piece of Redshift recently, to measure how tolerant it is.

I’m not talking about out of core, I’m talking about the device can no longer contribute to the frame, for whatever reason.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
237 posts
IFDs/RS Proxies, that one doesn't really track.

Karma is a USD renderer, we are doing away with the need to output an IFD, which is a scene description file
not a proxy geometry container. IFDs out of Mantra were able to be small text files that referred to data on disk, not the same thing as a RS proxy.
But in terms of IFD/RS Proxy like behaviour, karma is totally in the same ballpark. USD stage is the karma version of an IFD, it is a small file(unless you have some reason to bake into it) that refers to data on disk.
The data on disk is in .usd file format, remember USD is not only a scene description it's also including a set of file formats for storage too. So a USD stage file that calls .usd data off disk is the same as IFD calling a packed bgeo.
Just like mantra natively eats bgeo with no translation, Karma eats .usd data with no translation so it's very much like a delayed load workflow.

I don't think listing post render effects via the RS framebuffer should be included, they aren't core renderer features.
I get that some people use them, but the vast majority apply post render effects in Comp, sure they are nice to haves in a session, but they are not core renderer functions.

Cheers,
Lewis
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
60 posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback - There's a lot of ground to cover with this kind of video, so getting lots of smart eyes / minds on it is always helpful. The final video can be found here:

Cheers,

- Tyler
8551 posts
You may probably want to cap the income in pricing comparison at 100k, or account for having to use Core license above that amount (as a bonus you will get 5 Karma tokens which may or may not tip the scales for someone, probably not now, but hopefully in the future )
Edited by tamte - March 25, 2024 22:57:37
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
124 posts
tbay312
Thanks everyone for the feedback - There's a lot of ground to cover with this kind of video, so getting lots of smart eyes / minds on it is always helpful. The final video can be found here:

Cheers,

- Tyler

Great Review!
I hope we will see much improvements torwards serving average users and small studios:
85 posts
tbay312

Cheers,

- Tyler

i have a few question
as you know the main use of houdini its in large/huge vfx scenes thats a lot of studios are doing soo so why not take their comments in addition to your students?

Also after i mention that alot of studios using houdini for large vfx scenes ,
you compare redshift against karma with a simple scene and you forgot big big issue soo what happen if you have only 16/20/24gb vram card and you have large scene? In this situation do you still preferred to use redshift?
and how redshift handle large scene compare to karma xpu/cpu or arnold?

and one more question and i guess alot of people want to ask you , can you make redshift vs arnold review?
Edited by habernir - March 28, 2024 03:22:17
  • Quick Links