Help browser

5636   8   2
2624 posts
The help browser seems pretty limited.Is there any way to use another browser for the help. Just being able to bookmark parts of the help would be great !

Rob
Gone fishing
483 posts
Yes, although not “integrated with Houdini” in the same way.

If you're using Houdini 9,when you launch the help browser, just copy and paste the URL it goes to (i.e., http://localhost:48626/) [localhost] into your regular browser. Everything should continue to work, except (probably) for loading examples in Houdini. (This is probably best if your regular browser is Firefox.)

If you're using Houdini 8, it's a little more complex, I think.
1631 posts
Hey Rob,

In addition to what Joe said, bookmarking wouldn't help you since the port number used might be different though you can change that everytime.

Joe, I have a few questions:

a. Is there a way to fix the port number?

b. Is there a way to start the Help through a command instead of having to run Houdini then launch the Help?

c. Is it possible to have the Help running on my webserver for people to connect to so they can bookmark to their hearts' content? This also applies to a facility wide setup since it seems wasteful in having every artist start up the Help server everytime they want something.

Cheers!
steven
483 posts
The port number is fixed, unless that particular port is already being used, in which case Houdini will look for an open port starting at 48626.

I don't know the answers to the other two questions; I'll find someone who does.
Staff
466 posts
Answers to b. and c.: Yes, but not yet. There should be a script to start up the help web server included with Houdini. And the help browser in Houdini has a preference (though it's not obvious in the UI right now) to get its help from a central server. These things will be fixed up and documented in the next few weeks.
523 posts
Hello,

When loading example files, the Houdini Browser crashes and I get an error message.

Using H 9.0.680, windows xp

sorry for ‘bugging’ this thread…

thanks,

bernard
2624 posts
Hi mchaput great news ! .

Hey Bernard Im using xp at home and I am not having any problems loading scenes. Only using the default XP system protection.

Rob
Gone fishing
193 posts
Hello I gues ill just zombie this thread.
A while ago i noticed a bug somewhere stopping using your default browser as the help browser automatically and after it got fixed it worked again on my system.

After a resinstall of my system i seem to have fergotten what i changed to have this be the default behaviour though.
Does annyone know ?
93 posts
NicTanghe
After a resinstall of my system i seem to have fergotten what i changed to have this be the default behaviour though.
Does annyone know ?

Houdini has an environment variable that allows you to pick a web browser for documentation HOUDINI_EXTERNAL_HELP_BROWSER. Are you looking for this variable or is there anything else that stops Houdini from picking the browser even if this variable is set ?
Houdini Pipeline Supervisor @ TAT Studio
  • Quick Links