[HCS] Dark Houdini Color Scheme

88046   70   12
12428 posts
JColdrick
Yup, Jason's comment about contrast raises a good point.

I really am enjoying this cool blue 3D scene background now. It's recessive and really serves to separate the default grey GL shaded objects from the background. It's something I saw Lightwave had and was curious if it would bug me.
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
4140 posts
I was wondering about that. My normal thinking is to avoid colour as much as possible to avoid colour judgement taint, but I might give something like that a go when working in a non-shading/plate context.

I wish this stuff had easy presets and a GUI.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
4256 posts
Pagefan
They look a bit sewer greenish….aka ugly…

They are ‘suppose’ to be HSV 60 0.56 0.45, which is a desat'd yellow. It looks like a nice yellow on my monitor but I've noticed on some people's monitors it falls more on the ‘greenish’ side. I play with it a bit more this weekend and maybe swing it a bit more towards orange. And if that doesn't work I'll try a cyan or blue tint.

Monitor issues and strange tinting aside I'm curious as to what people think about having pickable UI elements tinted ‘yellow’. The original Scheme has things brightened when selected, I did the same but added a bit of yellow to reinforce the whole “Yellow = Selection” in the viewport.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
4256 posts
Pagefan
JC since you are the COCT (Chief of Custom Color Themes - sorry Wolfwood, Jason and Graham, there is only one who can be COCT and, well, i just appointed JC…) there is a little bug in the With/With All but buttons on the Group/Combine tab. They look a bit sewer greenish….aka ugly…

JC and my UI files are almost identical except for a couple of #defines. I might just add both to the UI file and then do a #if statement.
1145 posts
Well I guess since Wolfwood is junior, then he could be half-COCT

Pagefan
JC since you are the COCT (Chief of Custom Color Themes - sorry Wolfwood, Jason and Graham, there is only one who can be COCT and, well, i just appointed JC…) there is a little bug in the With/With All but buttons on the Group/Combine tab. They look a bit sewer greenish….aka ugly…
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
4256 posts
probbins
Well I guess since Wolfwood is junior, then he could be half-COCT

Indeed….Unless Team Fortress 2 is involved…..then I'm the CEO. :shock:
4256 posts
Based off everyone's comments. I sort of merged the different design ideas together. I took mine as a base and made it less contrasty to feel more like JC's and Jason's. I also fixed some of the node name colors in the List Mode vs Network Mode. At last but not least I moved all the selections towards orange a little bit so they don't show up as green on some people's monitors.

Attachments:
UILight.hcs.gz (5.4 KB)
ui2.png (134.2 KB)

58 posts
hey wolf good job, personally the first one (darker) is my favourite, better for my eyes at day and night,I use it all time, thanks
4256 posts
Rafal.M
hey wolf good job, personally the first one (darker) is my favourite, better for my eyes at day and night,I use it all time, thanks

Funny that you mention that. After using this new one for a bit I decided I like the first one better. So I just patched a few things in the original, like node colors, and left the rest alone.

Contrast rulez!
678 posts
Wolfwood, excellent work!
82 posts
Tks a lot
Now the houdini forum hurts… :shock:
160 posts
Wolfwood and jason_iversen
Great thanks I`m happy
832 posts
nice work guys - i''ll be using this from now on…
7024 posts
OMG how did I miss this thread? Finally, the goggles do something! Oh wait, no, the goggles still do nothing, the UI has been fixed

Thanks to all for reducing the pain!

Incidentally, I discovered that a reasonable compromise was to go to colour settings and set Gamma to .6 and Saturation to 2 because I had no time to actually fool with the .hcs file itself.

I'd like to see the context colours be more saturated but I'm sure I can make that change myself to the WW/JC/JI file I end up prefering

Cheers,

Peter B
1145 posts
In my next set of video tutorials I may use one of these new, very handsome, colour schemes.
If I do, I would want to provide the colour script with the lessons. Is that alright with you guys?
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
119 posts
Is it possible to “brighten” the purple and blue circles around the active node?
4256 posts
photex
Is it possible to “brighten” the purple and blue circles around the active node?

Yulp.
Change the following from this

NetworkDisplayHighlight: HSV 230 0.35 0.4
NetworkRenderHighlight: HSV 270 0.35 0.4

to this

NetworkDisplayHighlight: HSV 230 0.35 0.55
NetworkRenderHighlight: HSV 270 0.35 0.55
119 posts
wonderful! This is so nice on the eyes. Thank you.
4256 posts
@SESI, you folks are more than welcome to grab one of these and add it to a future release of Houdini.
52 posts
Cheers Woolfwood - I've also added a few minor tweaks of my own to your second offering… I'm loving it, very retro.

Wolfwood
@SESI, you folks are more than welcome to grab one of these and add it to a future release of Houdini.
Indeed, to my eye, these Dark themes make Houdini stand out as the ‘prettiest’ looking app out there - not so important really, but could reel in a few more punters for next to no effort. What's the time scale for 9.1 anyway?
  • Quick Links