channeleditor very buggy

8173   22   3
575 posts
before I submit a bug I want to check if other users have similar problems with fcurve editing in houdini lately. I can barely work 15 minutes in the channel editor , moving keys around, before Houdini crashes. just 6 to 10 curves, not that many keys. anybody else?
75 posts
I've submitted a bug to support a couple days ago. I'd suggest you submit yours as well. I'm in a large animation segment for a project I'm on and it is really frustrating.

It's extremely buggy I can reliably make Houdini crash within minutes of playing around with curves and tangents. Seems to happen most when undoing, though I've had it crash at other times too (such as trying to save because it's buggy).

Another issue I'm running into is Broken Tangents/Weighted Curves. I hit T to untie a key, and un-select everything, then when I move one handle, it still seems tied to the other, although less than Tied but.. How do I get it to completely untie from the other? Sometimes it works and more often it doesn't.

K. Experimented in a small scene with a cube. Moving End Circle Handles still have some influence on other handle. Moving the Dotted line, completely untied, good to know!… Still made it crash when undo-ing about 5 actions.
75 posts
Ok trying it in a production now…

Using the Dotted Line doesn't let me extend the handle to change the easing.

I have to use the Circle End to do that which affects the other side (In vs Out)… Is there a solid way people work with tangents that I can't figure out? Nothing is in the help expanding Tie/Untie.

Also, quintic() is missing from the curve function list.

Solution: I should look into an animation tutorial…

Holding down Control while dragging the dotted line lets you extend it freely… While holding down Control on the Circle End lets you extend the curve independently straight along it's slope.
7025 posts
Are you using the latest daily build? There have been a couple of issues fixed in the last few weeks…
75 posts
I'm running 13.0.350 currently. I'll try out the 355 but I don't see anything in the journal regarding this yet.
575 posts
latest productionbuild here
373 posts
Also experiencing this here as well (linux / 13.0.321). Will update to a newer version and give it a shot soon ish.
Ian Farnsworth
710 posts
I remember a similar issue where deleting keyframes would crash Houdini. Shame on me for not submitting it. ops:
Staff
5161 posts
Does anyone have any crashlogs?
75 posts
I was initially in contact with Silvina through emails who said it was reproducible and submitted as #60671 as of last Friday. Being a squeaky wheel, here's a collection of crash logs.

Attachments:
CrashLogs.zip (13.8 KB)

1391 posts
I had same problem with Keyframed Curves on the Linux Mint 15 ,But it solved after installing latest Daily Build and Updating VGA Driver ! :?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
75 posts
Latest build and Quadro drivers here. Still happens all the way back to 13.0.288.

Downloaded 12.5.562 and, rock solid, no fatal errors from initial testing. Channel Editor even performs better with hundreds of channels. Problem is that I can't save, as I'm sure is just compatibility between versions. VOP ‘computelighting’ Failed to save operator's intrinsic data. Fine if I delete the shaders, so I'll work with what I can for now.

Not to be a drama queen, but it got so bad this morning…

Attachments:
Fun_Times.jpg (317.2 KB)

7724 posts
Gyroscope
Latest build and Quadro drivers here. Still happens all the way back to 13.0.288.

Are you doing all of these channel editor manipulations during playback? That's the only possibility that I can see where these crashes can occur. The big change that happened in 13.0 was that the channel editor evaluation for rendering got multithreaded. Also try running Houdini with the -j1 option to disable multithreading to see if this is the underlying cause.
75 posts
Thanks for your time edward.

No, wasn't doing any manipulation during playback. Sometimes I'd open up a file, open up the Channel Editor, go to a key frame in it, and hit delete, only for it to crash. Nothing playing.

Another bug I was running into, as I like to work with Quad View in a technical desktop, is sometimes when I switch from camera to perspective using Space+B, the UI will trick out. The only constant is the timeline will have the yellow border around it like when you hold space over it with your mouse.

I can't hit buttons, shortcuts will still work as I can save, but if I hit Close on the top right, the pop up will ask me to save, but I cant hit any button. Sometimes, eventually it will close and pop up a fatal error, other times, nothing at all, sometimes I'll have to manually end the task. I can't reliably reproduce this yet so I have not reported it. Might be me, it's (just) happening in 12.5.562 although less than what I was experiencing in 13.

The -j1 option is to be added to the end of the Target field in a shortcut properties right? Just want to make sure cause I could still crash it after I did that.
339 posts
Also filed in a report with some vids

A bit glad I'm not crazy, since I've thought it might be hardware issues.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=31195 [sidefx.com]

Kind a punch in the stomach when your testing animation capabilities, eheh. Sure they'll fix it.

Cheers
7724 posts
Just please remember to submit the crashes that you run into.
575 posts
no playback during keyframe editing here, too. unfortunately i cleared my tmp dir, but as soon as I have to work on the animation again, i will send crashlogs
7724 posts
Hopefully it's fixed it now. Please test out tomorrow's daily build, Houdini 13.0.359 and submit new bugs if you still find that it crashes in Houdini 13.0.359 or later. Thanks!
4189 posts
Yes - 13.0.359 is solid on OsX- no crashes - thanks Edward!
339 posts
Fixed for my routines. Hoping to hear from you, sanostol.
  • Quick Links