Use GEOio.json to convert LWO

4002   10   2
383 posts
I would like to use assimp to convert .lwo into obj or collada with the GEOio.json config file, just like FBio .. I could not find much documentation about GEOio.json. Is it possible or is it just usefull for convertion tools which can write bgeo ? Can someone give me an example ?
www.woogieworks.at
637 posts
about the implementation with geoio…. i have not a clue…. 8)
but what should be possible is to use the json schema in python in lightwave and build a exporter.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12465588/convert-a-json-schema-to-a-python-class [stackoverflow.com]
383 posts
Well I used FBio and it was quite uncomplicated to import dicom images into houdini as if they where native .. I thought I could do the same with lwo objects without needing to write code .. I have a python sop which reads lwo but its complicated and often doesnt work as expected and first of all I dont want to invest time into things like moving data around
I hope that I could benefit from the work of others in this case .. by using a working converter ..
www.woogieworks.at
Staff
4177 posts
I haven't used LW or this add-on, but I noticed Blender has a LW importer that seems fairly robust (including bone support): http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/LightWave_Object [wiki.blender.org]

Maybe you could just use blender to do your conversions to OBJ? You could probably even wrap that up in a script
I'm o.d.d.
383 posts
Assimp works fine for conversion, but I would like the file sop to use it to import lwo ..
www.woogieworks.at
7735 posts
What about putting a command/script that runs assimp for .lwo to .obj, and then gwavefront for .obj to .bgeo?
383 posts
Yea this would be my next step. But I thought that maybe there is a way like there is for fbio to avoid that..
www.woogieworks.at
Staff
2593 posts
dulo
Yea this would be my next step. But I thought that maybe there is a way like there is for fbio to avoid that..

Both FBio and GEOio.json point to a program that will convert one format to another. So, when you added the lines in FBio to support dicom, they specified a program that read dicom images and saved out a Houdini .pic file (to stdout).

You'd have to do the same for GEOio. You need the program to do the conversion for you. Provided you can get the program to do the conversion (whether it's a shell script or a stand alone app), you can add it to the GEOio.json file.

There's more information on the GEOio.json format in the HDK documentation [sidefx.com]
383 posts
But for FBio i just had to povide a program which converted into any format readable by houdini. In the dicom case I used imagemagic16 to convert from dicom to exr and not to rat .. so I would have guessed that for objects there would be the same approach, to just convert the lwo into any format readable by houdini for example obj and houdini does the rest .
www.woogieworks.at
Staff
6225 posts
Image file formats have a long history of magic numbers to make it possible to determine the type of an image from a raw binary stream.

Geometry file formats? Less so.

You will need to chain your converters manually.
383 posts
Thanks a lot for the info. Will join the converters with a little script..
www.woogieworks.at
  • Quick Links