Procedural wirecapture?

3513   11   2
271 posts
Hi all,
I'm deforming a bunch of points along some wires, and I wanted this to be procedural, but I cannot find a way to automatically capture the points.

Is there a way?

Attachments:
wirecapt.png (54.0 KB)

4512 posts
I logged this as:

RFE: VEX based wire capture SOPs

The parameters could be driven by attributes. That would make a much better and faster workflow.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
271 posts
Thanks pusat,
At least I'm not missing something obvious. Shame ti can't be done currently…it's very non-procedural in it's current state.

As a side question: is it possible for me to see the RFE you logged? I can't find a way to view existing submission.
636 posts
i don't know if it's for you helpful but you can get access to the parameter with python.

# Adjust the path to the wirecapture node
obj = hou.node('/obj/geo1/wirecapture1')
obj.setParms({“numprims”:2})
obj.setParms({“u0radius1”:0.2})
obj.setParms({“u1radius2”:0.8})
4512 posts
Anti-Distinctlyminty
Thanks pusat,
At least I'm not missing something obvious. Shame ti can't be done currently…it's very non-procedural in it's current state.

As a side question: is it possible for me to see the RFE you logged? I can't find a way to view existing submission.

No there is no way to do that either. I and some other users asked SESI to make the RFE database public before. It would be beneficial.

A VEX solution to the WireCapture/WireDeform problem would be pretty amazing. It would pick up all these attributes like width, etc (that can be specified by name in the SOPs). I think the current workflow after you get the wire simulation is not very optimal.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
271 posts
Ah, shame I can't add my voice to your RFE.

Thanks for the Pyhon code mandrake0 - however, it would be grand to have the wire capture Houdini-ized as pusat mentioned.
271 posts
Update:
Although you cannot seemingly do this using point attributes, I was after a very simple solution of applying the same value to all wires - which you can do by leaving the Primitive field blank in the Wire Capture node. Then it seems to apply the settings to all wire points.
Staff
3455 posts
Anti-Distinctlyminty
Ah, shame I can't add my voice to your RFE.

new RFEs are checked against the DB and if you add something that is already there your RFE is made a duplicate and you are added to to existing RFE… setting aside human error

so there is no harm in adding the RFE…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
14 posts
Any updates or workarounds available on this?
7762 posts
wlvl_yfx
Any updates or workarounds available on this?

Roll your own using prim intersection coordinates and building the matrix using the curve frame.
7715 posts
There's the Capture Attribute Unpack/Pack SOPs now so it opens it for manipulation with VEX.
475 posts
Hi,

here is an older experimental example using this capture pack sop. You can capture your geometry by a curve using xyzdist() for example and set weight / u attributes using ramps, other attributes or whatever and put them back into a vector (array). The pack sop is doing the rest for you.

Attachments:
wire_capture_pack_example.hipnc (87.0 KB)

• Quick Links