What's the "proper" way to reload a Scene Import?

3168   14   4
444 posts
I use a Scene Import LOP to import my /obj to /stage. But when I edit the geometry in SOP, the Solaris scene is not updated at all. Refresh the viewport doesn't update the scene either. I have to press the debug flag on Scene Import node to force it to reload my /obj.

I found it unbelievably tedious and error-prone. Is it the expected behavior? If so, is it possible to make Scene Import reload the changed objects?
Edited by raincole - Nov. 22, 2021 10:50:11
444 posts
I also noticed that SOP Import LOP *does* auto-reload. Is this discrepancy between SOP Import and Scene Import intentional?
Staff
4438 posts
It is not intentional: the Scene Import should update automatically. If you can submit bugs with any hip files demonstrating cases where it is not updating automatically that would be appreciated! In my very simple test with a torus in /obj, the Scene Import updates properly when directly modifying parameters on the torus, or when the parameters are animated, so I presume there is something at least a little more complicated going on in your hip files... Thanks!
444 posts
mtucker
It is not intentional: the Scene Import should update automatically. If you can submit bugs with any hip files demonstrating cases where it is not updating automatically that would be appreciated! In my very simple test with a torus in /obj, the Scene Import updates properly when directly modifying parameters on the torus, or when the parameters are animated, so I presume there is something at least a little more complicated going on in your hip files... Thanks!

Thank you very much for the reply. I actually just was just following the official tutorial ("Houdini Foundations") so my scene isn't particularly complicated. I'll try to make a minimum reproducible example that can reproduce this problem.
444 posts
@mtucker

Here it is. This .hip has only one single node in /obj and one single Scene Import in /stage. When I move the display flag between "sphere1" and "box1", the viewport (pinned to /stage) isn't updated.

Attachments:
bug-test.hipnc (799.8 KB)
Screenshot 2021-11-23 041732.png (1.1 MB)

621 posts
Try top menu: help > reset viewport.

The Solaris viewer has refresh problems often, but that can not be reproduced easily.
Staff
451 posts
raincole
Here it is. This .hip has only one single node in /obj and one single Scene Import in /stage. When I move the display flag between "sphere1" and "box1", the viewport (pinned to /stage) isn't updated.

Thanks. I can reproduce this with Scene Import (and, as you note, it doesn't happen with SOP Import). Taking a closer look, the issue only occurs when setting "Force Objects" (rather than "Objects") to "*".

I've committed a fix which should show up in tomorrow's Houdini 19 daily build.

- Rob
Edited by robp_sidefx - Nov. 23, 2021 06:19:04
444 posts
robp_sidefx
I've committed a fix which should show up in tomorrow's Houdini 19 daily build.

- Rob

Thank you very much! It's crazily fast.
129 posts
jerry7
Try top menu: help > reset viewport.

The Solaris viewer has refresh problems often, but that can not be reproduced easily.

Hey! I can't find where the "Reset Viewport" Button is, does it still exist?

Attachments:
2023-10-03_18-05.png (114.5 KB)

7771 posts
AnsonSavage

There's no such button that ships with Houdini. There's a plugin that adds it called 'labs' for Houdini that also includes a number of tools. However, if you close the viewport and then 'undo close pane tab' it should have a similar effect.
331 posts
jsmack
if you close the viewport and then 'undo close pane tab'
How do you undo a closed pane tab?
2041 posts
eikonoklastes
Most upper right corner of your window there is a 'Pane Tab Operations' pull down menu button that has the 'Undo Close Tab' option.
7771 posts
eikonoklastes
jsmack
if you close the viewport and then 'undo close pane tab'
In the top right corner of each pane are two icons, a square and a triangle. The triangle opens a menu; one of the options in the menu is undo close tab.
129 posts
jsmack
AnsonSavage

There's no such button that ships with Houdini. There's a plugin that adds it called 'labs' for Houdini that also includes a number of tools. However, if you close the viewport and then 'undo close pane tab' it should have a similar effect.

Okay, cool. This will be something that will need to be done fairly often on my team, so it would be nice to have a button for it. Is this where the button should be showing up?

Attachments:
2023-10-04_11-17.png (42.5 KB)

7771 posts
AnsonSavage
Okay, cool. This will be something that will need to be done fairly often on my team, so it would be nice to have a button for it. Is this where the button should be showing up?

You really shouldn't ever need to do this. It doesn't help reloading in solaris at all. It's mostly for clearing stuck geo that appears sometimes when diving into sop solvers.
  • Quick Links