Welcome and Rules

6898   30   4
Staff
1182 posts
Welcome to the MARDINI Daily Art Challenge which gives the Houdini community the chance to compete for cool prizes by creating a new image or animation every day during the month of March 2023.

Each week has a theme which you can see in the graphic on the rules pagewhich is meant to be used to create and inspire the artwork that you submit.

Rules can be found HERE [www.sidefx.com].

Note that if you are missing your prizes from 2022 please fill out this NEW FORM [docs.google.com]:

Edited by rmagee - Feb. 27, 2023 10:41:06
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
101 posts
Let's do it!
123 posts
Nice! <strike>So no daily requirement this year, only the weekly theme and we can get crazy ?</strike> Obviously there is a daily prompt, it's even mentionned in the rule page ,) Learning to read, people, it starts at school !
Edited by Wolrajh - Feb. 23, 2023 07:38:57
80 posts
Hey Rob, I filled in the form for the 2022 prizes but actually just got my package, so you can remove me from the list of people that didn't get their prize, sorry about that !

Swag pack looks awesome !

Cheers !

WaffleBoyTom68/ Thomas Goffelli
69 posts
Can't wait!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/geoffpburns [twitter.com]
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/geoffburns/ [www.instagram.com]
1 posts
It says "should be done in COPS". Does that mean it's required or are you allowed to use photoshop to comp your images?
22 posts
With external textures and models being allowed, are you allowed to texture an asset in substance as part of the process?
Staff
1182 posts
HandcraftedMedia
With external textures and models being allowed, are you allowed to texture an asset in substance as part of the process?

You could create textures using substance but then they need to be assigned to the geometry in Houdini via materials/shaders.

Allowing outside models is an experiment with this year's Mardini. If it feels like people are spending more time outside Houdini then inside Houdini then the option may be removed in future contests.
Robert Magee
SideFX
51 posts
I'm new this year, but do the prompts get released on the day? Are they all released on the first? At the beginning of the week? Was pondering if it would be possible to plan things out to relate to each other.
Houdini TD, I focus on tools for procedural asset creation.

www.jaworenko.design
80 posts
Last year they released all the prompts a couple of days before the start of the contest iirc
23 posts
Awesome, THis will be my first year I'll try my level best to complete it.
36 posts
I tried to to do Mardini 2022 and fell short, this year I AM MAKING THIS HAPPEN. We got this!
123 posts
Allowing models should hopefully shorten fabrication times. I know it was a huuuuge part of my process last year :o

... Or maybe it will just mean more time spent on other aspects... Oh my poor sleep times...
80 posts
Do we still need to use COPs for comp or can we do our comp is another software ?
Staff
1182 posts
WaffleBoyTom68
Do we still need to use COPs for comp or can we do our comp is another software ?

COPS
Robert Magee
SideFX
74 posts
Have there ever been discussions about allowing real-time renderers like Unreal or something in these challenges? Game-dev here so I feel like most of my time on these challenges go towards figuring out solaris/usd/karma etc and not modeling/scene generation. Especially with Houdini engine plugin and viewport sync to unreal for example.
36 posts
So asking for a quick clarification about the Iron Heart Rules.

"Everyone who submits entries for all 31 challenges AND submits them as a contact sheet to the Iron Heart forum by April 4, 2023 at Midnight EST/EDT wins the Iron Heart"

Does that mean we need to submit the contact sheet AS WELL AS post our art before the the Midnight EST/EDT deadline for each day?
Staff
1182 posts
MitchRease
So asking for a quick clarification about the Iron Heart Rules.

"Everyone who submits entries for all 31 challenges AND submits them as a contact sheet to the Iron Heart forum by April 4, 2023 at Midnight EST/EDT wins the Iron Heart"

Does that mean we need to submit the contact sheet AS WELL AS post our art before the the Midnight EST/EDT deadline for each day?
The contact sheet must be submitted at the end for the iron heart.
Robert Magee
SideFX
Staff
1182 posts
Emomilol1213
Have there ever been discussions about allowing real-time renderers like Unreal or something in these challenges? Game-dev here so I feel like most of my time on these challenges go towards figuring out solaris/usd/karma etc and not modeling/scene generation. Especially with Houdini engine plugin and viewport sync to unreal for example.

Not for this contest.
Robert Magee
SideFX
13 posts
Hello Rob, I won day 12 in 2021 and waited thinking I would be contacted in some way, it's been a while but is there any chance I can get the lovely t-shirt?
  • Quick Links