MaterialX online library

13398   31   9
644 posts
Hi.

I just came across AMD's online library to download/upload MaterialX materials.

https://matlib.gpuopen.com/main/materials/all?category=Plaster [matlib.gpuopen.com]

Best

Mark
7750 posts
Mark Wallman
Hi.

I just came across AMD's online library to download/upload MaterialX materials.

https://matlib.gpuopen.com/main/materials/all?category=Plaster [matlib.gpuopen.com]

Best

Mark

They don't seem to be compatible with solaris. I tried one, and it uses a nodegraph defined node, which solaris can't seem to see into, so the material appears as a gray shader.

Attachments:
matx_graph_graph_satin_brass.png (783.2 KB)
amd_matx_satin_brass.png (473.1 KB)

644 posts
Oh dear. There was me hoping materialX would work through different apps. I hope these are just issues because it is so new best
7750 posts
Mark Wallman
Oh dear. There was me hoping materialX would work through different apps. I hope these are just issues because it is so new best

It seems like Solaris doesn't really support materialX at all. Sure it can use the base nodes as a shading graph for karma, but if it can't decode nodegraphs, it's not much use for interchange.
12444 posts
I would think that this is just a bug, or some unconventional thing going on.
Edited by jason_iversen - 2021年12月21日 17:41:23
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
7750 posts
jason_iversen
I would think that this is just a bug, or some unconventional thing going on.

It's nodedefs that aren't working. I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a feature that's not implemented yet.
スタッフ
4438 posts
We'll definitely be looking into these issues early in the new year. Right now most of us are on vacation, so please be patient. While that AMD library of MaterialX materials was hugely exciting, the timing didn't give us much chance to respond to the issues that cropped up.

Happy holidays!
18 posts
Technically how to import .mtlx into houdini?
433 posts
w007s
Technically how to import .mtlx into houdini?

Import the .mtlx file as a reference in Solaris. It will then show up in the Scene Graph Tree and you can assign it to geometry.
Subscribe to my Patreon for the best CG tips, tricks and tutorials! https://patreon.com/bhgc [patreon.com]

Twitter: https://twitter.com/brianhanke [twitter.com]
Behance: https://www.behance.net/brianhanke/projects [www.behance.net]
18 posts
BrianHanke
Import the .mtlx file as a reference in Solaris. It will then show up in the Scene Graph Tree and you can assign it to geometry.
So import?

Attachments:
123.jpg (192.4 KB)
ScreenRecorderProject51.mp4 (1.9 MB)

7750 posts
w007s
BrianHanke
So import?

Yes, import it just like any other USD file. The materials are not different from materials created with a material library. They still have to be assigned correctly to work. In your video, you've assigned a blank prim, "Shaders". The materials under "Materials" are the prims to assign as materials. The "Shaders" prim is purely for organization and cannot be assigned.
86 posts
Did you manage to get this to work? I've downloaded the Marble_Verde_Guatemala_Slatted material and used a reference node to bring it in to lops. When I try to assign it to a sphere and render in Karma though it doesn't seem to work. I'm assigning the MaterialX_Graph material, under Materials. Am I doing something wrong?

(using Houdini 19.0.455 apprentice)

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2022-01-05 15-44-57.png (55.5 KB)
Screenshot from 2022-01-05 15-46-10.png (53.0 KB)

644 posts
Hi. Not yet. Sorry.
スタッフ
2591 posts
The dev team is currently looking into this and hopefully will have some answers for you soon.
スタッフ
2591 posts
mark
The dev team is currently looking into this and hopefully will have some answers for you soon.
It looks like there's been an update to the AMD MaterialX library. The materials work a lot better in Solaris out of the box now. You should be able to just load them up using a File LOP. There may be some organizational things like paths to textures or shader names which might need some slight adjustment, but the materials are now way more compatible with Solaris.

Attachments:
amd_mtlx.png (856.1 KB)

644 posts
Thanks Mark!
167 posts
mark
mark
It looks like there's been an update to the AMD MaterialX library. The materials work a lot better in Solaris out of the box now. You should be able to just load them up using a File LOP. There may be some organizational things like paths to textures or shader names which might need some slight adjustment, but the materials are now way more compatible with Solaris.

Mark, what version of Houdini are you using for this? I'm on 19.0.498 (Python 3) on Linux Mint and when I load as you have done above, I get the following error messages:

Error 
Unable to find layer file: /home/dave-linux/Desktop/DOWNLOADS/CarPaint_SingleColor_4k_16b/CarPaint_SingleColor.mtlx 
Warning 
Failed to load plugin 'usdMtlx': libOpenGL.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in '/opt/hfs19.0.498/dsolib/usd_plugins/usdMtlx.so' 
Warning 
Failed to load plugin 'usdMtlx': libOpenGL.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in '/opt/hfs19.0.498/dsolib/usd_plugins/usdMtlx.so' 
Warning 
Cannot determine file format for @/home/dave-linux/Desktop/DOWNLOADS/CarPaint_SingleColor_4k_16b/CarPaint_SingleColor.mtlx@ 

/opt/hfs19.0.498/dsolib/usd_plugins/usdMtlx.so definitely exists, not sure why it's complaining about that.
スタッフ
4438 posts
It's not usdMtlx.so that is missing, it is libOpenGL.so.0 (which is used by usdMtlx.so) that is missing. That is a system library, which I believe you can install (depending on your Linux distribution) with a command like:

sudo apt-get install libopengl0
7750 posts
Hamilton Meathouse
Mark, what version of Houdini are you using for this? I'm on 19.0.498 (Python 3) on Linux Mint and when I load as you have done above, I get the following error messages:

Are other mtlx files working, such as the one of the examples in the HFS? That material is working for me, although I haven't tried it with 498. (I'm on 505) I've noticed a few of the materials have errors, such as missing textures or disconnected inputs, but so far it hasn't caused karma to reject them.
5 posts
Hello

Is there any way to edit the materialX (import via FILE) in order to modify it?
In advance a BIG THANK YOU

Best regards

JY
Edited by JYA - 2022年1月25日 12:06:26

Attachments:
Import edit.jpg (1.1 MB)

• Quick Links