Efficient ways to move the view around large scenes?

12688   35   3
4189 posts
KalciferKandari
I'm using it as an example just because it's such a basic form of travel.

Yeah - Houdini doesn't always have elementary things that other programs do, but I hear that it is very good if you need to move 65K boxes in the viewport. Each program has it's strengths and weaknesses

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=8291386 [forums.cgsociety.org]
2040 posts
Just click on select then points, primitive, edges or vertices of your object ( your preference ).

And like Enivob suggested earlier use ctrl + g.

It won't “zoom back out” like you say.

If you only just want to “fly around” to do alot of looking; Set up a camera and adjust the parameters to move around.
Edited by BabaJ - March 23, 2017 23:06:11
48 posts
Artye
move 65K boxes in the viewport.

Well above that actually. In practice if course I'm not only using cubes, that was for the sake of comparison, the objects will vary, some will be huge. It becomes a bit of a problem if it's difficult to move around them.

BabaJ
And like Enivob suggested earlier use ctrl + g.

If the object is big, then the view will automatically dolly out to fit it on the screen, and also changes the angle of the camera to the default. It's jarring when looking around a scene in general rather than that particular object.

BabaJ
If you only just want to “fly around” to do alot of looking; Set up a camera and adjust the parameters to move around.

Do you just mean the transform parameters? I did think of that, maybe a control rig of sorts could be created for the view, moving it around with handles. I'm not convinced it would be efficient though.

Surprised this thread wasn't open-and-shut, so to speak. Thanks for the replies either way.
Edited by KalciferKandari - March 24, 2017 05:00:33
2040 posts
If the object is big, then the view will automatically dolly out to fit it on the screen, and also changes the angle of the camera to the default. It's jarring when looking around a scene in general rather than that particular object.

Like I said before, if you select points, prims, edges or vertices first…it won't “dolly” out, no matter how big the object is.
48 posts
But then it's based on how big the edges, faces, etc. are. The orientation of the view resets as well, and you need to keep switching between objects. Again, it's not efficient for moving around.

Houdini doesn't have good view controls for large scenes, that is the answer to my original question.
11 posts
Space-F is like Space-G but keeps the view orientation.

One suggestion is to position Nulls at points in your scene that you visit frequently and use them as view transport targets. Then pan from there.

Another is to just put cameras at different points of interest.

(Edited to correct Shift -> Space)
Edited by jrboddie - March 24, 2017 13:30:27
2040 posts
But then it's based on how big the edges, faces, etc. are.

So? It's served it's purpose whether the prim was 100 or 200 meters out of your larger object of 20 kilometers. You will still be able to move around more or less once in on that prim you have selected. And why would it matter about orientation? Did you not say you want to move around the scene?

I think it's fair to simply want a feature like you describe ( Behave like Blender ).

But I think what we have here is simply a condition where your used to a feature in one program and wish you could have the same feature in another.( again, which is fine ).

But what are you wanting to do as a result of this ‘feature’?

If a situation is coming up where it truly is inefficient, then let us know, maybe you might need to rethink how to do what you want.
48 posts
BabaJ
maybe you might need to rethink how to do what you want.

I'm familiar with the view controls of Blender, Unreal Engine, and Terragen, they are all superior to what Houdini has with respect to moving around large scenes, which is ironic because Houdini is especially good at handling large scenes.

Rethinking the view controls is not something for me to do, it's something for SideFX to do, by adding more options or modes.
Edited by KalciferKandari - March 24, 2017 14:50:17
2040 posts
I didn't say rethink view controls.

What I was saying is rethinking what it is you want to do in the scene.

Are you just wanting to fly around the scene and look at everything, are you wanting to work on one part of the scene, etc. what?

Maybe it's just a discussion for you on the feature right now and you anticipate when you do go to work on your scene it will be a hindrance once you do?
Staff
635 posts
KalciferKandari
Rethinking the view controls is not something for me to do, it's something for SideFX to do, by adding more options or modes.

It's being looked into as we speak.

Cristin
387 posts
Hmm… what about quickmarks for 3d viewport? But I love 12345 for components so “quickmarks” in Marking Menu could be way… Just thinking aloud…
4189 posts
sounds like we are getting those long-wanted transient viewport keys. Here comes some great modelling updates!

@Kalcifer - btw what are you making? Your website has very lofty goals but only has simple illustrations and a few bits of code so far.
48 posts
Artye
@Kalcifer - btw what are you making? Your website has very lofty goals but only has simple illustrations and a few bits of code so far.

I haven't updated that site in a long time.

I'm currently working on the animated series, where the models are built from a set of basic shapes which obey a set of rules. The purpose of the series is to convey raw sequences of events from different parties involved, where the events are what might actually happen given the situation of the world, as opposed to revolving the world around a character.

I will probably be animating it in Unreal Engine 4.16 when they add native rig animation. Houdini will be used to create the models, where Houdini Engine will likely be used to bring them in.
Edited by KalciferKandari - March 26, 2017 09:54:21
14 posts
I rigged up with 3Ds max to solve the problem. And I think Houdini could do the same thing as like this.
it's get by to check the scene with a first or third person's view.

try ray, fetch and set some simple Control Parameter with Chop network.
I would' like to give you some Hip file, but I'm Newbie.. not good at Houdini yet : (

by the way you're right about viewport navigation system. Houdini need to have better navigation.
People who work with environment that need to check a first or third person' view like game environment artist, really help if 3D model software supports the good navigation system like Fly through or run through with height check.
many people say check it in Game engine but It's real handy to check scenery realtime without exporting to engine.

Attachments:
bandicam 2017-07-26 13-50-13-174.mp4 (2.3 MB)

2537 posts
I love Blender's Fly mode. I wish it were part of Houdini.
That was the first thing I missed when I switched over to Houdini.
But I don't find Houdini viewport navigation that difficult.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2 posts
For anyone else looking for an answer on this:

At least as of Houdini 19.5 there is a first person fly view mode (similar to Unreal):
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/view.html [www.sidefx.com]

Very useful for navigating large scenes.
Edited by DerMusikMeister - June 8, 2023 12:39:22
  • Quick Links