Collecting project files in houdini

10431   6   1
11 posts
Is there a way to collect files like in after effects?
336 posts
I'm sure you could collect file dependecies with a script, but the best practice is to have all your dependencies in Houdini point to $JOB or another arbitrary variable. If $JOB is set to for example /projects/Houdini/mycoolshit all the files needed will be in /mycoolshit making it simple to back up or move. In the render menu you can run Pre-Flight Scene to check that all dependencies are relative to $JOB or $HIP
Staff
3455 posts
Have a look at Render > Pre-Flight Scene
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
948 posts
Hi, I've bumped in to this thread look for the information on how to collect files in Houdini and since you guys got already here I have to ask:

is there something build in Houdini that automatically collect the files to a directory?
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
655 posts
Not like AFX and traversing the whole scene is certainly not trivial so as stated, your friend is the Pre-Flight and work in a way that makes things easy to port from the start.

This should be a good tool to put together… mmm… will have to think about it.
201 posts
It seems to me that it is possible for a Houdinian to make such a tool, but there are several reasons that will complicate the development.

1) Contexts. Go through all the contexts of Houdini and see what there is easy. And how to solve the problem when different nodes will refer to a cache with the same name, but are in different directories?

2) Slow copying of data. Imagine how many will take the collection of files of a large project, where there will be many gigabyte caches of data simulation, textures, models and other. But this can last for hours and even days.

And to compare still with programs that do not deal with such heavy calculations is not entirely correct.
21 posts
Try this script
https://github.com/Aeoll/HipCollector [github.com]
Edited by aekorps - Nov. 9, 2020 12:58:41
  • Quick Links