H20 - hidden gems - post them here

2967   15   6
233 posts
There’s so much new stuff in H20! Massive release!

I think there are many things that maybe might have gotten some less attention in the release announcements, but nevertheless are great.

Starting a thread for everyone to post their observations and discoveries here.

I’ll start with my list, so far:

- Bezier handles on ramps!!
- New 2D pattern nodes
- More integrated OCIO management
- The PolyHinge looks pretty good!
Edited by LukeP - Nov. 14, 2023 19:36:23
248 posts
oooh Polyhinge can creates subD friendly insets! that is awesome time saver 🎇
https://twitter.com/oossoonngg [twitter.com]
180 posts
The much improved 'Create HDA' dialogue.
331 posts
As a Dvorak layout user, the new keymapping script ability is massive for me. It took me about a minute to define my Dvorak layout in the text file, and Houdini now just works natively with that layout, without me having to even open the Hotkey Manager.

Beautiful stuff.
238 posts
carve sop is able to read primitive attributes for the U locations !
Edited by sekow - Nov. 15, 2023 17:21:32
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
Staff
467 posts
You can now export videos natively from MPlay

You no longer need an external FFmpeg installation in order to use the FFmpeg Video Encode TOP

4515 posts
eikonoklastes
As a Dvorak layout user, the new keymapping script ability is massive for me. It took me about a minute to define my Dvorak layout in the text file, and Houdini now just works natively with that layout, without me having to even open the Hotkey Manager.

Beautiful stuff.

I sent an RFE for the core issue years ago, so glad to see it implemented in H20. It's quite massive for the people who are aware of this issue
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
1621 posts
For me one of the underrated gems are the timeline bookmarks. This may be irrelevant for some fx shots that are like 60 frames long, but for long takes with lots of stuff going on, it's a very useful thing, especially when changes occur.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
171 posts
eikonoklastes

Beautiful stuff.
My friend wants to know what Dvorak layout is. Could you explain for me him?
7770 posts
Hamilton Meathouse
eikonoklastes

Beautiful stuff.
My friend wants to know what Dvorak layout is. Could you explain for me him?

As a classic college prank, a group of students rearranged the keys on their professors computer, Dr Dvorak. However to get even with them, he never acknowledged the prank and continued to use the keyboard as if nothing was out of place. The alternate layout caught on among the students and it became known as the Dvorak layout.
442 posts
Dark grey background.

I know you can customize this in 3DSceneColors.dg, but seriously.
Edited by raincole - Nov. 20, 2023 17:02:50

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-11-21 055655.png (12.0 KB)

180 posts
If you do like the Dark Grey scheme - you might like to check this out:

New blue for the H20 Dark grey colour scheme
Hey guys if you are using the new H20 'Dark Grey' colour scheme you'll note that the blue Z axis colour is very difficult to see. It makes the floating gnomon pretty much useless, and the main Z axis handle is similarly affected. So, I've delved into the colour settings to fix it : ) I've also tweaked the visibility of the reference and construction planes to make them more visible in this colour scheme.
Download the attached file (3DSceneColors.zip) unzip it and put 3DSceneColors.dg into your Documents > Houdini20.0 > Config folder. After launch set the colour scheme to Dark Grey: Display settings > Background > Color scheme. The gnomon and handles should then have the new blue colour. If you decide it's not for you, just delete the file and Houdini will revert to the standard colours. Let me know if it works for you!
Edited by Mike_A - Nov. 21, 2023 11:58:17

Attachments:
3DSceneColors.zip (3.4 KB)
newBlueOldBlue.jpg (293.0 KB)

117 posts
New Primitive Image Display Mode combination with Smoke SDF or Constant -Polyfill and PolyHinge.

Attachments:
tursdaasdsfsss.gif (1.1 MB)

Conservation of Momentum
679 posts
cncverkstad
New Primitive Image Display Mode combination with Smoke SDF or Constant -Polyfill and PolyHinge.
Hey, cncverkstad could you elaborate on the "New Primitive Image Display Mode"? I couldn't find anything about it.
Thanks
CYTE
Edited by CYTE - Nov. 22, 2023 05:17:12
201 posts
The Transform node has an additional Move Pivot to Centroid button. It's a small improvement, but how nice not to have to write local variables or expression functions in the Pivot Translate parameter if you only need to move the pivot.
Edited by alexwheezy - Nov. 22, 2023 05:25:14
4515 posts
CYTE
cncverkstad
Hey, cncverkstad could you elaborate on the "New Primitive Image Display Mode"? I couldn't find anything about it.
Thanks
CYTE

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links