Mac OSX Port?

315985   265   2
107 posts
So much has been said on this issue on this topic… i do not know what to add… i just want to say: SIDEFX, PLEASE MAKE HOUDINI AVAILABLE FOR OSX! PLEASE!

..or… at least make some kind of announcement on this issue…
something like: Ok… “We are working on it.”.. or… “This will never happen!”…
So we all know…
Live life in chunks.
4140 posts
Think about it for a moment. What possible advantage is there in SESI saying “it will never happen”? That would be foolish. Saying “we're working on it” can *only* be announced at the point they're actually working on it, or when they've made the tangible business decision to do it.

When you don't hear anything from them, it means it's been noted.

J.C.
John Coldrick
107 posts
well well… ok… i know about this corporate strategy thing… it is just that i want to be sure that something is going on…
Live life in chunks.
330 posts
the cost of houdini on a mac would have to be overinflated to match the hardware

/stir :p
107 posts
Why?
it is just the same hardware as a linux box…
Live life in chunks.
3 posts
Well its been a while since I logged in to see if there was any progress on a mac port. Obviously at this stage there are no new developments except that Houdini is getting cheaper to purchase. I guess thats a good thing.
301 posts
Hi,

With the UI maturity in H9, I'd like to see Houdini ported natively to OSX.

If native (aqua) is not possible, OSX have X11 and OpenGL support so it should be worth considering since Houdini runs on Linux.

I use OpenDX on OS X under X11 and it's a node based visualization software that have some resemblance to Houdini.

Regards
Nicholas Yue
10 posts
I'd love to see H9 on Macs too as long as I do lots of the work in Mac OS X (with Final Cut and the stuff) and I need to go back to WindOS for Houdini. That takes time!
454 posts
Right now I'd rather see a version of H9 that ran python 2.4.4.

212 posts
er.. how much a problem is it?

we haven't looked to heavily but first glance changes from 2.4.4 to the 2.5? version sesi ships with h9 are minimal… but I could be wrong.

-k
50 posts
Another vote for Houdini OSX port. I am not a fan of Mac Hardware, however, after using OSX for a couple of years, the moment i need to use Windows i begin to feel sick. Linux version might be a good solution however for many many years a couple of critical software like (like some Adobe and Apple software) have not been released under Linux which makes me very uncomfortable about it, besides i am very happy with the OSX environment. Houdini release 9 is a very mature software, i am sure it will work perfectly under OSX platform. I believe crossplatform sofware are much more flexible than OS dependant ones. I hope to see this great software on OSX in the near future.
10 posts
Well, sure still waiting to see it in Mac OS, but tested it via VMware Fusion, works almost flawless. :-) Pleeeeaaase, don't make me, at least, a “perv” using it in Win or via virtual Win!!!! Give me port! :-)))))))
648 posts
there are far more important things to do.
when you use a computer you use your apps.
your experience of using houdini would be almost identical
under osx, so why demand they divert resources for this
when you must already be using it? sounds like whimsy.

-cpb
50 posts
cpb

-cpb

Because the experience is not identical.
398 posts
More useful to vote for Photoshop (and other software) for Linux
f = conserve . diffuse . advect . add

fx td @ the mill
519 posts
Hear, hear!
10 posts
cpb

-cpb

Strange post, guy.
1390 posts
trange post, guy.

It's not strange, it is actually reasonable true. It seems that you want OSX port to play with it, not to work on it. Don't tell me that anybody seriously interested in setup Houdini workstation is bothered by a lack of OSX port.

I can't imagine this horde of OSX users who will start buying Houdini as soon as they see it's ported. Not truth actually. These are Modo/Lightwave users and they are not interested in Houdini at all.

Any studio I've seen in my life had a mixed environment. Some OSX (if any) for graphics/editing, some PC for 3d/compositing. If they were buying new Avid for example, some decisions had to be made: are we buying now PC/MAC or we use one from the set. It's always somehow included in development price. 8-9K$ for Houdini is enough to seriously consider workstation for it.

I really don't think there is even one pure OSX based studio in whole universe that would consider Houdini incorporation. Any other can dedicate one PC for that purpose as they have to do anyway because this business is PC based one.

Professionals choose machines for their applications not opposite.

cheers,
sy.
10 posts
SYmek
trange post, guy.

It's not strange, it is actually reasonable true. It seems that you want OSX port to play with it, not to work on it. Don't tell me that anybody seriously interested in setup Houdini workstation is bothered by a lack of OSX port.

I can't imagine this horde of OSX users who will start buying Houdini as soon as they see it's ported. Not truth actually. These are Modo/Lightwave users and they are not interested in Houdini at all.

Any studio I've seen in my life had a mixed environment. Some OSX (if any) for graphics/editing, some PC for 3d/compositing. If they were buying new Avid for example, some decisions had to be made: are we buying now PC/MAC or we use one from the set. It's always somehow included in development price. 8-9K$ for Houdini is enough to seriously consider workstation for it.

I really don't think there is even one pure OSX based studio in whole universe that would consider Houdini incorporation. Any other can dedicate one PC for that purpose as they have to do anyway because this business is PC based one.

Professionals choose machines for their applications not opposite.

cheers,
sy.

You know, I never answer an “I-know-everything-'bout-everything-and-you-don't-tell-me-I'm-wrong” guys like you. :-) But I'll do it this time.

OK: who the h..l told you, that you're working in your XP and all the others with their chosen OS's - are kids just playing fool? Or Lins are some followers of an OpenSource cult? Or Mac - is just a glamourous toy? I don't wanna go in depth of this discussion as far as I've met such people a lot - their only reason is just to say “I don't know much about the purpose you want this or another thing - but I don't like it!”

SomeOS will never make you more creative than you are, that's no doubt, BUT you can't deny that there are some certain reasons why one chooses AbcOS and the other - DefOS. If you're more productive with this OS - that's fine! And it's no sin to wish one more tool you work with in this certain environment. Like modo and Lightwave 3D. ;-) Isn't it better to do your job without any additional moves as surfing among different systems? And, sure, it's not about professionalism, it's about tools you feel comfortable to work with.

Using Houdini doesn't make you a “guru” whose workflow - is a-must to be copied. There's no right to say: those ones who does not use this software in this OS - are all playing and not working.

You made your choice - I made mine, and you don't tell me that my way of working is not good, ‘cause it differs from yours.

I guess, you’re of the age to understand it. If not - that's your problem.

Have a good time.
1192 posts
SYmek
Don't tell me that anybody seriously interested in setup Houdini workstation is bothered by a lack of OSX port.
What I am bothered about is:
a. Houdini runs better on Unix (aka Linux right now), especially from a workflow POV. That is, if you want to setup a pipeline, and integrate a renderfarm which will use linux. I have XP on my workstation and I'm trying to setup some linux render nodes and integration is a pain, so I'll probably be put in the situation to have Linux on my machine, not because I like/want linux but because it streamlines my Houdini workflow. All nice and good but
b. Linux lacks a lot of applications and features that I consider necessary. The only useful thing I can do on Linux is run Houdini and Nuke (and maybe some Imagineer apps in the future). Very nice, but I need my Adobe apps and SynthEyes and my Wacom working, and color management and font management and a media layer. Linux doesn't fully cover my workflow.
So, Windows is not Unix (and this is bad), and Linux is not a complete solution (which is worse). OSX is in the middle, being a desktop Unix which seems to be filled with all the features I need for production.
I totally agree with the POV that one does not use the OS, but the applications, so the OS' only purpose is to be a good support for the apps. But exactly from that perspective OSX seems interesting.
I don't really care what happens first: SESI ports Houdini to OSX or Adobe ports its suites to Linux, but either one will make possible to use only one OS for production and this is a *good thing*.
I'm also curious to see if Apple will be any longer interested in the pro market.
Maybe this thread should be closed and a poll added, because I have the sensation of the discussion running in circles.
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
  • Quick Links