GUI problem, Linux x64

23185   24   2
5 posts
I have strange problem with my houdini apprentice, running under Fedora 8 Linux x64
Houdini starts fine, but UI has no icons, and there are some bugs when I'm trying to click on menus etc.

It seems that the problem is in my video card, or drivers perhaps?…
Best Regards,
Sasha Reyev
4140 posts
Try renaming your $HOME/houdini9.1 directory and see if that fixes it. Sounds like your icons got munged. Also, be sure you're running the latest version first(scroll down the downloads page and look for the largest 9.1 release that's not red).

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
330 posts
im guessing you have an ATI card? i got the same glitches under ubuntu .. but it works ok under suse 10.3. not sure there is a fix.
37 posts
Also remember to disable/uninstall compiz-fusion if you're running it.
38 posts
Lamb
I have strange problem with my houdini apprentice, running under Fedora 8 Linux x64
Houdini starts fine, but UI has no icons, and there are some bugs when I'm trying to click on menus etc.

It seems that the problem is in my video card, or drivers perhaps?…

Check the permissions on the “.houdini” in your home directory.. I had root
ownership on mine and had the same problem.. Deleting it and creating it
again, fixed my problem.

I kidd you not, someone facing this problem elsewhere in the forums, suggested reinstalling the operating system, in this case Ubuntu.. Yikes! Not like that's hard, but a bit extreme..
I donated the DEC Alpha Ton made his first 64-bit port of blender to.
Okay if I survive, SideFX has to be pretty cool. Otherwise this is a totalitarian regime.
66 posts
Had the same missing icons problem myself, running on Ubuntu 8.10.
Seems that if you install Houdini to a “root owner” directory with sudo, your ~/Houdini9.5 dir gets root ownership as well. (not strange, but should be changed in the installer).

Changing the ownership back, makes everything dandy. Hey, you can even save your preferences! ;-)

sudo chmod -R “your_username” ~/Houdini9.5

Takes care of that…
“If your life is not NOW, you're already dead…”
From Chrizto's book of truths
320 posts
Chrizto
Had the same missing icons problem myself, running on Ubuntu 8.10.
Seems that if you install Houdini to a “root owner” directory with sudo, your ~/Houdini9.5 dir gets root ownership as well. (not strange, but should be changed in the installer).

Changing the ownership back, makes everything dandy. Hey, you can even save your preferences! ;-)

sudo chmod -R “your_username” ~/Houdini9.5

Takes care of that…

The “houdini9.5” folder located in your $HOME directory isn't touched by the install script as far as I know. It sounds like Houdini may have accidentally been started by a root user, or with the sudo command.
www.alan-warren.com
66 posts
Not by me.

Just ran the installer, and there it was, the directory was owned by root.
4140 posts
The installer does *not* touch files in $HOME/houdini9.5, unless you installed into that directory. You can read the script if you don't believe me, there's nothing secretive going on.

What you're describing sounds like a common mistake - some combination of not installing as root, or running as root, etc.

J.C.
John Coldrick
7735 posts
What version of 9.5 are we talking about here? There used to be a problem with the Linux installer before but I think it was fixed a long time ago? Are we talking about a beta version of Houdini 9.5?

The bug before was that if you chose to install the HDK during installation time, houdini.install would run hdkinstall to install the executables. But hdkinstall would create $HOME/houdiniX.X as root because houdini.install was started up as root.
66 posts
Well, this happened to me when installing 9.5.379
7735 posts
Ah, ok, I see it now. Thanks for revealing this to us, Chrizto! The permissions bug was re-introduced when Apprentice Licensing was added.

The installer is now fixed for tomorrow's 9.5.393 build. In the mean time, the workaround is what Chrizto mentioned. You can copy and paste the following command to a shell.

sudo chown -R `stat –printf=%U:%G $HOME` $HOME/houdini9.5
66 posts
The latest daily build works good.

Thanks.

EDIT:
One thing, the internal helpbrowser doesn't launch automatically.
I noticed this because I always turn it off manually…
7735 posts
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the startup help that gives the Houdini basics? I believe it was made to launch in an external web browser some time ago.
66 posts
Sorry I was kinda vague there.
I don't mean the internal help browser, I mean the launching of the help content on whatever browser you use.
7735 posts
Launching of the help content, how?
66 posts
As in the option of having the help content launch automatically (the default) when Houdini starts… Jeez, do you need it with a tear dropper?
3 posts
Hi guys,

I'm experiencing this exact problem. No GUI icons and extremely slow performance up to the point where it's unusable. The only difference is that I'm trying to run this under OSX 10.5.6 on a 2.5Ghz MacBook Pro with 4GB of Ram.

I'm running the 379 build and that appears to be the only build available to Apprentice users.
I tried the chmod workaround to no avail.

This kinda puts a full stop to my first Houdini experience before I even had a chance to do anything.. :?

Any ideas?
1631 posts
If you go to the Support > Downloads link at the top of the page, scroll down the Downloads page until you see Daily Builds.

Cheers!
steven
3 posts
Hi Steven,

thank you for your reply.
I downloaded and installed the latest build (420) and unfortunately it makes no difference.
No idea what's going on here.
  • Quick Links