[BUG] the paint and sculpt sop does not work in win 32bit

41529   22   5
338 posts
Hey guys

Im gettin issues with the paint and sculpt sops not working at all. The nodes are created but I cant paint on the surface of the objects.

If i check the hit information it registers that im painting ot sculpting and the brushes are visable.

There is no change to the Cd value in the spreadSheet either.

Im using this version houdini 9.1.161 win xp 32bit vc8 and a wacom tablet.

Cheers
Nick
7025 posts
Check that your geometry isn't too small. There used to be bugs with the Paint/Sculpt that if your geometry was too small it didn't work right.

Cheers

Peter B
338 posts
Hey Peter

Ive checked on a new grid scaled by 100, still doesnt paint or sculpt at all.
I dont think its a geometry issue, no matter where the source of my model is, the scale of it it just refuse to pick any painting.
Cant see what can be causing this to happen.

Cheers
Nick
1192 posts
The paint tools are buggy (I'd even say broken) for a long time.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
Staff
2540 posts
Does the brush handle work with a regular mouse?

If there is a repeatable case please get that in to support.
There's at least one school like the old school!
325 posts
I am not sure that's exactly what you are doing, but I suppose that your geo's resolution is simply too low, and you are trying to paint\sculpt with small brush sizes inbetwen the geo's points. (like with a small brush on a hugely scaled grid, standard 10x10 division). I.e. get a denser geo before painting it.

Don't expect from Houdini exactly the similar functionality as Modo\Zbrush - while those are painting displacement maps and give you immediate OGL results - Houdini SOPs (Paint\Sculpt, dia dia dia) are operating on Geometry Points\Faces\Edges\etc attributes (including P, position), not in-between point's space or textures (I may be deviating from the point here though).

Hope that helps,
cheers.
I liked the Mustang
338 posts
Hey vlad, i dont have this problem on a 64bit system. Mesh denisty doesnt change how the paint tools are acting. I remember in houdini 8.2 there were times where painting didnt quite work right, usually fixed by a houdini restart.

Ive tried using a mouse and wacom pad.

All im doing is adding a paint node to a mesh nothing else.

One thing that i have noticed is that the hit pressure on the stroke info stays at 0 is that normal?

This issue is persistant, so I will send this onto support, i need to try this on another 32 win xp system first. it could be my system config screwing things up.
Cheers
Nick
4 posts
Hello,

I'm having similar issues with paint capture weights.

I middle mouse click to select bone and paint away,move bones to deform mesh and continue to paint stray points. I repeat this process and after awhile the paint capture weights stops working. It's totally random when it happens. I have moved to geometry capture where I am using the pill shaped “creagon?” but I would like to use paint capture weights for some more complex models that I have.

Any advice on this issue would be extremely helpful.

George
7720 posts
Is there an example file that demonstrates the problem?
1192 posts
I reported problems with the paint/sculpt since September (ID# 27313). It was also discussed here: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=10329 [sidefx.com]
As far as I know it is a known, reproducible problem.

Dragos
Edited by - Feb. 29, 2008 11:16:24
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
7720 posts
Oops, I misssed the “wacom” part of the description. ops:
4 posts
hello,

Thanks for the replies.

Can't give out the scene, but tried it on a simple sphere and box polygon.

It seems that the paint,paint weights and sculpt tools all do the same random quit thing for me.

If it is a bug as digitallysane has reported then I will have to wait for a fix.
These tools are very inportant for character work, I look forward to seeing them fixed.

By the way, The creagons are giving me creases at the shoulder and thigh pelvic regions. Any advice on those?

George
7720 posts
For the thigh/pelvic region, I've been told that a “crotch” bone helps.
4 posts
Good idea.

I'll try that “crotch” bone out.

I've been using edit paint weights with some degree of success, but it is dificult and tedious to select the proper points for editing. Going into wireframe helps somewhat,but would love to just paint away at them
7720 posts
Using the Visibility SOP helps hide away other geometry so that you can more easily get at the troublesome points.
34 posts
Hello! Any updates on the issue? i've tested every version of Houdini after 9.1 and all the sculpt/paint tools are broken with my wacom intuous 3 tablet. what's up with that? This is really frustrating… :cry:
34 posts
Still having the same problem when trying to sculpt/paint with my wacom tablet and houdini 9.5.303 on vista 64bit. The only way for it to work is save the scene right before i use the tool and reopen it on a new houdini session. anything new?
129 posts
I'm having a minor issue with paint as well. If I change the operation mode in parameters window it doesn't commit the change for the actual mode in the viewport itself, and vice versa. Seems a bit weird, should it be like that?
137 posts
Do you guys still have that issues? I want to report the bug to SideFx but I can't produce the bug on demand.

The link Dragos put doesn't work but if you know how to repeat it on demand I'd like to know it. Also if there's an other work around then restarting Houdini I'd love to know how.

François
338 posts
Hey francois, I had some one complaining of the exact same problem today but this time in win 64bit, they could apparently reproduce this by having two houdini process' open. I still get this issue even with houdini 10 on win32.

Still no idea why and how to reproduce this on win32 bit, it just happens……randomly while using any of the paint style tools.
Nick
  • Quick Links