Snow Leopard and Houdini good to go?

169533   162   5
168 posts
I had viewport problems under Intel GMA950
Albert
154 posts
I had viewport problems under Intel GMA950

Did you have success running Houdini on the GMA950 under Leopard? I tried a GMA950 during the port of Houdini to the Mac, but found it dropped back to software OpenGL very early on giving slow performance.

Still, it's interesting that you are seeing the graphics problem in that configuration.
168 posts
I haven't used Houdini very often on laptop but I'm pretty sure that it was ok under OSX 10.5
Albert
135 posts
Hey Guys

thanks for all the great info but I'm new to Houdini on OSX. I just have a question if OSX version of Houdini only work with Intel machines or can it be used in legacy G5's??

thanks in advance

George
3D Mind body and Soul Great illusions are done by great artists…
154 posts
Houdini will only run on 64-bit Intel Macs. That mean Core 2 Duo and higher.

Sorry!
14 posts
So Mike, what you think, when it will be available in your download repository? So you have bigger problems, as those foreseen?
14 posts
Just curious, when will you compile H10 for OSX 10.6?
1 posts
Hi, I am wanting to be a developer using houdini apprentice and just yesterday i found out about it and I wish to learn about this.

When i start up houdini, the icon on the dock starts bouncing (note that i am on 64 bit mode) then the image that pops up on the screen comes up it stays there for 5 seconds. Then it goes away and the icon stops bouncing and there is no “dot” under the houdini icon. Why is this happening?

Does anyone know the exact date (or somewhere around when a new build will be released) because I have snow leopard now and I have a 64 bit mac computer 4 gigs of RAM and 2.53 GHz intel core duo. Is there or is there not going to be a build for snow leopard? Or has it been fixed or resolved. Please I would like to know

Thanks Guys

P.S. I just got a new mac 2 days ago so nothing should be different
Staff
1448 posts
Then it goes away and the icon stops bouncing and there is no “dot” under the houdini icon. Why is this happening?
Currently there is an issue with the permissions on the /Applications/Houdini 10.0.xxx/Administrative Tools folder. Because of that, when you start Houdini, it cannot launch an administrative tool that installs free apprentice licenses.

Please give yourself read permissions on that folder, as mentioned earlier in the thread:
the problem with permissions on the “Administrative Tools” directory is known and will be fixed soon. As mentioned, you can work around this by just right clicking on the folder in the Finder and adjusting the permissions manually.

After that, when you start Houdini it will launch the license installation wizard. Once you install the licenses, you should be able to start Houdini, though the first time you launch it, it will take a minute or two to start up because it generates the icons and some UI elements.

One last, but crucial thing is to download and install the latest daily build of Houdini (eg, 10.0.387) from Support > Download (and scroll down the page to Daily Builds) because there is a steady stream of fixes coming in every day:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1207&Itemid=273#version [sidefx.com]
1 posts
alright thanks for the help, I have been running SL and have not been able to really try out Houdini yet. Been going through the CMIVFX tutorials without an actual client to work with. Any how downloading the latest build and hoping Ill be able to get in and mess around.

Also is there a mirror up for these downloads? Im going “lightning fast” at 20kb down..
14 posts
I noticed, that latest builds have still viewport problems on macpro (2007). Nvidia 7300. Viewport flickers every frame.
185 posts
I'm also getting the disco flickering on my mac pro (2007) with a nvidia 8800GT.

Interestingly it all seems to work fine on my macbook with a 9400m

This was with build 10.0.388
132 posts
FYI, just tried 10.0.390 on my Macbook Pro.
There are two switchable graphics cards on board.

Here's the result:

-NVidia GeForce 9400M (low power consumption)
Houdini makes an alert sound with any keyboard press, including the spacebar for orbiting, UNTIL a preferences dialog is opened and then closed. Then sounds stops and Houdini works fine.

-NVidia GeForce 9600M GT
Screen flickering on every re-draw of the screen. Looks like a double-buffering issue to me. No keyboard issues. All other functions seem normal.

I'm going with the 9400M for now since the screen flicker is very disruptive.
In both cases to get Houdini to run I had to make the Administrative Tools folder and it's contents readable using Get Info from the finder.

EDIT: Just tried the non-flicker case and it flickered. Quit, restarted, and flicker was gone. Perhaps it's just intermittent and not connected to the graphics card after all?
288 posts
could you guys see the menus?

still waiting for the new build that support the system.
^_^
132 posts
Yes. Menus are visible on 10.0.390.
You do have to fix the permissions as indicated above.
154 posts
ykcosmo
could you guys see the menus?

still waiting for the new build that support the system.

Are you looking on the downloads page?: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_download&Itemid=208 [sidefx.com]

That's how you get the daily cut. Scroll down to the “Daily Builds” section.
Staff
181 posts
Make sure you are logged in with your forum name and password…
2 posts
where are you finding the .390 version

the latest i can find is .374

no menus

is .390 not available for PLE apprentice ?
8 posts
it's available for ple
but you need to scroll down the page (link above) a little bit.
below about six prod builds youll find the daily builds category.
2 posts
never mind…….i found it ops:
  • Quick Links