basic caustics setup

7235   9   3
311 posts
I'm trying to do some caustics rendering.
I'm looking through the help, the tuts, the Magic Book, and i can't find a simple solution to setting it up.

Anyone got a simple to do list of how to get the damn thing working.
I've tinkerewd around a little, but so far no nice pictures. Just a lot of waiting then nothing.

Thanks

Jerry
311 posts
hey jerry

you could try this thread on odforce..

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=1111&pid=7329&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#entry7329 [forums.odforce.net]
311 posts
yeah, tried that. my photon map keeps writing out 0 photons.
what's up with that?
7025 posts
Hey Jerry,
I had a video tutorial on it from way back, but I don't know where you find those now that Vizlab has gone offline ( I'm in the midst of moving so I can't dig it up myself right now, sorry. Maybe someone else has it lying around?

Cheers,

Peter B
166 posts
I see exactly what Peter means, I used to have the video at C.O.R.E. ( I know it's useless to you Jerry). However I may have it on some backup somewhere.
Time to get out of this messy world.
311 posts
thanks guys.
I think I'm most of the way there, just need to figure out why my photon map doesn't contain any photons.

As usual the Houdini help is next to useless.
268 posts
One thing I remmember (vaguely).. that you have to asign a photon shader to the objects.. VEX photon plastic. If you already did that.. then I'm out.. sorry Jezza
311 posts
no worries Adam. cheers anyhow.
Jenny at SESI sent me a simple demo file so I've got it working now, but it would be good to have some docs that expalined things in some detail.
Staff
2540 posts
Jason put the first run of Peter's videos on-line at OdForce:

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/TutorialsLegacySESIVideos [odforce.net]

It's missing the second run H7 videos. That is where the AO and GI vids are. Need to get that sorted.

Oh and Jerry, next time we'll try to respond to your support question even faster next time.
Case Opened: Thursday September 28th, 2006 9:44 AM
Case Closed: Thursday September 28th, 2006 10:08 AM

I also dropped off a DVD copy of all the VisLab vids nicely organized with HTML front end earlier this year. I knew you would need it. :roll: If you need another, let me know and I can bring one by tomorrow.

-jeff
There's at least one school like the old school!
Staff
3455 posts
I have all the vids that were at VisLab at home…I'll get them up on the wiki this weekend…I think I have some other old stuff as well…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links