really wide network tiles in H9 - why?

72489   98   12
73 posts
hi all,

I have just newly jumped in to H9, and I am finding navigation and readability in the new network editor to be somewhat more difficult than in H8.
Granted, I am still getting used to things (like the MMB-RMB switcheroo), but I am wondering why the tiles are so darn wide. The extra width seems to serve no useful purpose other than chew up valuable screen real estate with gray space on the tile. Having the names horizontal makes horizontal space precious enough; why make the tiles any wider than they have to be?

As is often the case with me, I could be missing something. anyone?
- resist or serve -
7025 posts
This is a question we all have, unfortunately. We're all hoping that this and other similar issues can be addressed in 9.1.

Cheers,

Peter B
483 posts
The nodes are wider but much less tall, meaning you can stack many more of them in the same relative space. This, combined with the fact that all networks (other than VOPs and SHOPs) are now vertical makes networks much more efficient.

In short, we're quite happy with the new node look, and we don't currently see any reason to change it.
7025 posts
Hi Joe,

I'm sure you're happy with the look, but nice looking nodes don't get the work done. Maybe you could get some production files and notice that you can barely get two columns together in the same network without a confusing overlap of labels and nodes. Real files have multiple branches and you need to see them together, which the current node size doesn't really allow.

I was thinking, maybe you guys for 9.1 could put in a “production UI” setting, where the nodes are usefully proportioned, the colours are less glaring etc. I think of Windows XP, where the first thing you do when you have to use it is set it to Max Performance which turns off all the rounded button crap and effects.

Just a thought

Cheers,

Peter B
4140 posts
Joe, honestly, we're not bitching because it's different than it was. Things like changing the aspect ratio of nodes in a network have fundamental consequences to workflow. I actually agree with you - aesthetically I feel they look better than H8. Unfortunately, they result in a *lot* more zooming, dragging and panning. It's sexy with 20 tiles - it's a major pita with 1000.

All we can do is ask. And plead.

J.C.
John Coldrick
1631 posts
I have to add my voice to this too. Usually, there are multiple branches being merged with controls all over the place. With the wide nodes, it's hard to display them all and select nodes, change flags etc.

Please have a setting to reduce the width of the nodes or revert back.

Cheers!
steven
1192 posts
Joe
In short, we're quite happy with the new node look, and we don't currently see any reason to change it.
That's too bad.
The new tiles are hard to select. The connection areas are hard to reach. It's very hard to set a flag when you want it but, at the same time, very easy to set one by accident.
Except for (debatable) aesthetics, I fail to see at least ONE real advantage of the new tiles over the old ones.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
454 posts
the tiles are so darn wide.

It's all relative isn't it? I thought they were less high - and so they save space. Basically, I can't really see how this isn't a half-full / half-empty thing?
7025 posts
The problem is the label. I'm starting to believe that the way VOPs work is the One True Way to work, you have your inputs/outputs on the left/right, the label above and you don't pay a penalty for having labels sticking out to the right.

In SOPs you can't have too many nodes together because of the label sticking out. When they were the correct size (i.e. 8.2's narrower) your label still took the same amount of space but the node took less space.

Cheers,

Peter B
509 posts
We've got now all the UI coloring and sizes (almost) customizeable.. so why cant we have a nice slider in the preferences to set the tile size?.. and I'm talking about horizontal and vertical

cheers.
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
543 posts
Joe

I'm sorry Joe, but this is getting dangerously close to “Programmer Knows Best” territory.

As a fellow programmer, I know there only be dragons lying in those woods … step lightly. :idea:

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
543 posts
pbowmar
<SNIP> I'm starting to believe that the way VOPs work is the One True Way to work </SNIP>

Sweet …

4262 posts
You guys are implying that you prefer to work in a horizontal layout instead of vertical? :shock:

For me the order of readability is

Houdini 8 SOPs/OBJs > Houdini 9 SOP/OBJs > > VOPs

I love the ‘easy to read’ columns of text in Houdini 8. With a decent naming scheme you can quickly ‘read’ what a large network is doing with minimal cooking.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
543 posts
Wolfwood
You guys are implying that you prefer to work in a horizontal layout instead of vertical? :shock:

Nah, just love the essence of:

“One True Way to work”

Simplicity, Elegance, Joy

:!:

–Grasshopper
648 posts
Joe

here's 3 reasons:

they're too wide.
vertical stacking is inefficient when using the L hotkey.
all the flags are missing, unlike before in 8.2.

-cpb
483 posts
xionmark
I'm sorry Joe, but this is getting dangerously close to “Programmer Knows Best” territory.
Programmers had almost nothing to do with the current look of Houdini 9, and it shows. H8 was designed by programmers, and boy does it show.
7025 posts
People with production experience had almost nothing to do with the current look of Houdini 9, and it shows!

Sorry, couldn't resist The nodes are too wide, let's just accept that and get it fixed, shall we? The useless colour scheme we can control ourselves, the width of the nodes we can't. Hence, we work to get fixed those things we can't control

Cheers,

Peter B
543 posts
Joe
Programmers had almost nothing to do with the current look of Houdini 9, and it shows.

Interns … :roll:

Clutter is distracting. H9 is needlessly painful, horribly it reminds me of Katana, now there be dragons mate!

Joe
H8 was designed by programmers, and boy does it show.

Ah, no wonder it works well for me. Logical, clear, fairly refined. Uncluttered.

Not sold yet on H9's GUI … jury's still out on the HOM as well.

:arrow:
129 posts
Joe

Here is me hoping that this thread will be reason enough for changing it so the size will be customizable.
325 posts
I am not that big a fish in a pool, but I'll put my 2 cents too -

Since Houdini declares freedom with no compromise - then why not allowing users decide for themselves whether they want wider or narrower tiles? Is there a technical problem behind that? I know that designers were working hard to make H9 what it is - but why not letting programmers polish what they have done a bit now?

my 2 bytes
I liked the Mustang
  • Quick Links