I had to share this stupid achievement

9881   28   4
73 posts
Hi,

I am new to Houdini and a hobbyist. When I learn a new package, I always practice building the same object below. It's called an “Advanced Inertial Reference Sphere”. The corner piece of the sphere is a challenging (at least for me) object to build in a way that is ‘perfect’ and clean in SubD.

Consider it my acid test to verify that I am comfortable with the basics of the modelling portion of an application.

I have dreamed of being able to use Houdini for almost 15 years. I always thought it was only for rocket scientists and that you needed a PhD to achieve the simplest results.

I am sure that the current iteration of the application is far more accessible than it used to be in the past. However, I am amazed at the result of spending about 10 hours with tutorials. I have NEVER been able to achieve such a clean and continuous surface with any application that I used in the past whilst retaining full control over the cage.

I always seem to either end-up with either a soup of control loops, having to retopologise after a Nurb'ish/Boolean'ish sledgehammer approach, or end up with a good cage that wasn't 100% perfect (I am a bit OCD).

Houdini is the first application in which I ever managed to achieve this level of perfection without having to push vertices along guides manually.

Thank you SideFX! You just improved my standard of living by 250%
Edited by redaborchardt - Sept. 17, 2016 08:14:26

Attachments:
1.png (1.2 MB)
2.png (1.4 MB)
3.png (1.5 MB)

7722 posts
Where's the pic of your actual model?
766 posts
Yeah lets see some wireframes; I could be wrong but the image looks as if I've seen it before.
【T】【C】【S】
333 posts
Christopher R
Yeah lets see some wireframes; I could be wrong but the image looks as if I've seen it before.
You most likely have: http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Airs.html [nuclearweaponarchive.org]

It would be nice to see some actual Model. Would love to see some Hard Surface Modelling here.
73 posts
Hi,

I did attach 3 images to show the cage with the original post. They seem to have gotten lost.
I will upload them at the end of the week. I am currently on a business trip and away from my workstation.

The image within the post is a reference picture.
766 posts
Why did you post an image from another site ? I'll let this thread play it's self out.
Edited by _Christopher_ - Sept. 14, 2016 13:24:36
【T】【C】【S】
73 posts
As I mentioned, I attached three files. For whatever reason, they are not showing.

EDIT: Just got back and uploaded the attachments to the original post. I could not see that they weren't attached initially as my post went into review (probably because I am a new user).
Edited by redaborchardt - Sept. 15, 2016 11:25:26
73 posts
Here is an update. I think that I reached the stage where I cannot reduce the number of polygons in the cage any further. The shape conforms to a perfect sphere and the holes are perfectly spherical.

Attachments:
progress.png (1.4 MB)

73 posts
A few cups of coffee later….
Edited by redaborchardt - Sept. 17, 2016 21:11:46

Attachments:
progress.png (2.4 MB)
progress.png (900.8 KB)

710 posts
Looking good
Staff
3455 posts
very nice work.
keep sending us feedback on your experiences with modelling in Houdini
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1738 posts
Looks great, super clean model.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
73 posts
Thanks for the positive feedback. Here is an update with the inside of the corner piece done.

I have used Modo since version 1 for subdivision modelling. While I miss the selection tools from Modo, Houdini gives me the comfort to take a complex scene or model much further than I ever would have with Modo. I can't quite put my finger on the exactly why this is the case.
Edited by redaborchardt - Sept. 17, 2016 21:02:47

Attachments:
progress.png (3.6 MB)
progress.png (2.0 MB)

73 posts
Since I intend to use Octane for the final render, I thought that it would be a good idea to now add the materials and check that my scene didn't contain something that Octane doesn't like.

I was a bit afraid that I would not be able to re-create the very pleasant ‘look’ that Mantra gave me. Anyway, using the Octane Uber shader, I was able to set everything up in about 15 minutes.

I am using a single GTX 1080 and the result in Octane with very low settings is astounding. Not only is it faster, it also produces less noise with only a max sample setting of 260.

I love the fact that I can have the two render engines and materials running at the same time. I expected the application to crash when I tried rendering at the same time. It didn't!

One the left screen is Mantra. Octane is on the right.

Attachments:
progress2.png (4.3 MB)

73 posts
First test renders. I like the group based UV projection feature a lot

Each one of these renders only take 4 seconds (hence the noise)

Edited by redaborchardt - Sept. 18, 2016 13:24:43

Attachments:
render4.png (2.4 MB)
render2.png (3.8 MB)
render3.png (2.9 MB)

73 posts
Here is a test render that took 3 minutes at 3440x1440 resolution.

Attachments:
2minute.png (3.0 MB)

73 posts
Here is a little video to wrap this weekend up. Time for some Starcraft 2 now.

73 posts
The fact that I can randomise the rotation of the screws with a simple expression and a stamp function makes me chuckle.

Attachments:
screws.png (2.5 MB)

4189 posts
Like!

(silly there isn't a button eh.)
73 posts
With the spreadsheet, null objects, object merge, groups and expressions, there is always a way to get myself out of a pickle. Houdini is a beast.

Attachments:
bolts.png (2.2 MB)

• Quick Links