17408   30   1
192 posts
When i change the curves to bezier,
i don't get handles
it's the same as nurbs curve?

Why is this?
I'd like handles.
333 posts

its not the same as nurbs curves. it is bezier. you just dont see the connection of the control points and endpoints.

I agree that it is weird and should be changed. For artists this is just not user friendly at all. I remember i got confused too and once you have a lot of points in there it is getting hard to determine the control points.

please SESI update the way we can edit curves. its a pain in the ass tbh.
192 posts
thanks!
how stupid is that indeed!
how do i merge two ‘handles’, now they are always ‘broken’ anchor points.

is there some manual/tutorial for bezier curves in houdini out there?
2624 posts
This has been a RFE for years with Houdini . Bezier control points ALA 3ds Max . You have to remember Houdini was never designed as a modeller and now you have free applications like Blender it makes it pretty pointless spending development cash in areas that are not a strong focus already.

Its far from ideal I know and I feel your pain, Ive lived without them since v 8.1. They are very handy !~

Rob
Gone fishing
1755 posts
Having the ability to create a project from start to finish within one single program is ideal. I know that having limited resources and having to compete in the same time will put some wrenches in achieving that ideal, but abandoning it from the get go is flat out wrong IMO.

Regarding this particular issue - I'll go out on a limb and say that adding those control points to bezier curves is not that big of an investment time/money wise, it's just something that was probably not requested as much in order to be bumped up to the front of the queue. Like it's the case with so many other features Houdini lacks in “artist areas” for which there are probably submitted RFEs .
333 posts
McNistor
Having the ability to create a project from start to finish within one single program is ideal. I know that having limited resources and having to compete in the same time will put some wrenches in achieving that ideal, but abandoning it from the get go is flat out wrong IMO.

Regarding this particular issue - I'll go out on a limb and say that adding those control points to bezier curves is not that big of an investment time/money wise, it's just something that was probably not requested as much in order to be bumped up to the front of the queue. Like it's the case with so many other features Houdini lacks in “artist areas” for which there are probably submitted RFEs .

very well summed up. +1
85 posts
McNistor

+10000
— dedeks 3000 —
1737 posts
Or just make your own. Put this in a attrib wrangle in detail mode:

// first handle
int line = addprim(0, ‘polyline’);
addvertex(0,line, 0);
addvertex(0,line, 1);

// last handle
line = addprim(0, ‘polyline’);
addvertex(0,line, @numpt);
addvertex(0,line, @numpt-1);

// the rest
for (int i=2; i<@numpt; i+=3) {
addvertex(0,line, i);
addvertex(0,line, i+1);
addvertex(0,line, i+2);
}

Attachments:
bezier_handles.gif (367.3 KB)

http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
333 posts
dude, thats pretty neat. Not perfect but damn this awesome to finally have a visualized bezier.

thanks so much. This should be posted in the Favorite Wrangle Topic too.
4189 posts
Very cool. Another hack is turning on Display Primitive Hulls
407 posts
mestela
Or just make your own. Put this in a attrib wrangle in detail mode:

// first handle
int line = addprim(0, ‘polyline’);
addvertex(0,line, 0);
addvertex(0,line, 1);

// last handle
addvertex(0,line, @numpt);
addvertex(0,line, @numpt-1);

// the rest
for (int i=2; i<@numpt; i+=3) {
addvertex(0,line, i);
addvertex(0,line, i+1);
addvertex(0,line, i+2);
}

Thanks Mestela; your codes are awesome.
Masoud Saadatmand (MSDVFX)
45 posts
With H17 it's possible to implement a proper bezier handle with python states.

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/58427/?page=1#post-261971 [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by anon_user_00157425 - Oct. 13, 2018 03:20:18
320 posts
I am learning Houdini, I entered this but keep getting “i” as and undefined variable.
2036 posts
I am learning Houdini, I entered this but keep getting “i” as and undefined variable.

You likely inadvertantly made a typo…post your code if you still have problems.
320 posts
BabaJ

You likely inadvertantly made a typo…post your code if you still have problems.
I am betting that is it. here is what i have

// first handle
int line = addprim(0,'polyline');
addvertex(0,line,0);
addvertex(0,line,1);

//last handle
line = addprim(0,'polyline');
addvertex(0,line,@numpt);
addvertex(0,line,@numpt-1);

//the rest
for (int i=2;i<@numpt;i+=3);
{
line = addprim(0,'polyline');
addvertex(0,line,i);
addvertex(0,line,i+1);
addvertex(0,line,i+2);
}

found the error. I have semicolon before the { on for line
Edited by bobc4d - Oct. 13, 2018 10:59:29
159 posts
Also you can't select multiple points and move them around which is pretty annoy.
Edited by EricSheng - Oct. 15, 2018 07:21:01
31 posts
Hello,

adding my voice here too. I have been absolutely unable to use curve tool to create a simple desired shape. The workflow for me, as a Houdini beginner is impossible to figure out. Furthermore, the fact that something as trivial as a curve tool even has a learning curve is on its own scary. Curve tools are something one is usually able to pick up and use straight away in most software packages. It should not have any learning curve at all, let alone having a so complex one user like me still fails to get desired result after half a day of trying.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/rawalanche [artstation.com]
28 posts
Been using Houdini for around 10 months now, doing fairly advanced things, still havnt been able to use the curve tool in any way or form that's usable - I've been extremely successful using the curve/path tools from pretty much any software, 3dsmax, Maya, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc, but drawing simple curves in Houdini is a nightmare, my workflow at the moment is to create them in Illustrator, import them into 3dsmax and then import into Houdini, which is ridiculous….
323 posts
Hi ,
i am planning to do a tutorial about curve / drawing and construction. I would love some tricky real world tasks to solve.
So please send me describtions and or drawings of curves that you struggle to create/paint in Houdini.

thanks

Olaf
7737 posts
Is this a troll thread?
  • Quick Links