Houdini 15 Wishlist

64708   146   18
691 posts
It would be nice a way to track the editing of an asset when you make it editable, like some color coded nodes that are modified in comparison with the parameter defaults when you dive inside the asset.
Feel The Knowledge, Kiss The Goat!!!
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alejandroecheverry [linkedin.com]
http://vimeo.com/lordpazuzu/videos [vimeo.com]
4495 posts
RFE: MMB info display should highlight the new changes as well as deleted ones

As you can see, without really scanning the massive amount of info shown, I see what's new in this node.

The same highlighting should be done for new attributes, bbox size, center, bounds change, point number, prim number, vert and polygon number change, etc.

This way you can tell if your topology changed when you don't expect or if a new attribute is added when you don't want it. It might be hard to spot otherwise if there are tons of attributes.

Additionally you could also highlight the removed items like removed attributes or groups in red for example. Then you can tell those are gone.

You might think this could be confusing but if you put this list at the end of the MMB node display then it wouldn't be. Because then if you look up, you will only see what you really have but if you look down, you can see what's been removed. It could even show how much memory is saved there so you can be even more informed.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
210 posts
pusat
Sounds quite handy, hopefully it doesn't turn out too colorful and this way creates more confusion than it's supposed to eliminate.
+ 0.9 from me

I have one more RFE, which I've just logged:
The Polyextrude SOP needs a toggle on the vieporthandle, or just somewhere in the viewport close at hand to toggle between local and global extrusion mode.
1265 posts
Korny Klown2
pusat
Sounds quite handy, hopefully it doesn't turn out too colorful and this way creates more confusion than it's supposed to eliminate.
+ 0.9 from me

I have one more RFE, which I've just logged:
The Polyextrude SOP needs a toggle on the vieporthandle, or just somewhere in the viewport close at hand to toggle between local and global extrusion mode.

You can use the ‘m’ key to toggle between global, local and viewport. You can even right click on the gizmo to toggle on ‘local control’ to pop the gizmo to the center of the selection. I use my own shortcut key for that…much faster.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
210 posts
Werner Ziemerink
You can use the ‘m’ key to toggle between global, local and viewport.
I know but that doesn't do the trick. Even with your handle aligned to world space the extrusion happens in local mode.

Werner Ziemerink
You can even right click on the gizmo to toggle on ‘local control’ to pop the gizmo to the center of the selection.
That one I didn't know about, seems to work, thanks. But still I would find a viewport toggle kind of convinient.
2624 posts
Print out render stats to a XML format with some graphical interaction to view render information. ALA prman 19 .

Rob
Gone fishing
464 posts
Full UDIM (viewport display included) and Tangent Space Normal Map. out-of-the-box support, please. :roll:
Compliance with the mainstream PBR texture workflows: roughness/metalness and specular/glossiness, would be cool too. The latter works fairly well with mantra surface shader, but not always brings the desired results. Sometimes it requires a little bit of tweaking.
133 posts
  • * Deprecate redundant nodes.
    * Upgrade all legacy SOPs to VEX (Point SOP, Attribute SOP, etc)
    * More attention to DOP POPs, in general.
    * Rebuild all missing, old-style POPs in DOP POPs (Rotation POP, Orbit POP, etc)
    * Better SDF POP Collisions
    * Better POP auto-freeze controls so that them crazy particles stop rotating when they come to rest.
    * Hire a Usability Expert to design interfaces more intuitively. The new Mantra ROP interface in H14 was a good initiative.
Francisco Rodriguez
Effects Animator | Walt Disney Animation Studios
3 posts
Exporting groups to FBX files. Or support fbx in file sop. I need grops in fbx! Obj works fine but it have one major disadvantage - only ONE uv chanel. But I actualy need more.
It will be great if you guys add this to file sop.
379 posts
- Face snap not just point as it is now
- Something like Reflection shading mode where you can see curvature or shape of object
284 posts
Overhaul the VEX documentation to be more like a developer guide. There are so many cool new functions and data types for VEX now that it's becoming almost like an API. A lot of functions are still buried or have scant documentation available.
183 posts
- Basic OOP features in VEX (constructor for struct).
- Default arguments for VEX functions.
Aleksei Rusev
Sr. Graphics Tools Engineer @ Nvidia
483 posts
My greatest wish is a simple nurbs curve shader material with real UVs like this one:
http://www.bt-3d.de/div/v45shader/v5/nurbs_intro.html [bt-3d.de]
http://www.bt-3d.de/div/v45shader/v5/nurbs_material.html [bt-3d.de]
http://www.bt-3d.de/div/v45shader/v5/nurbs_diameter.html [bt-3d.de]

Please notice that there is a simple curve rendered, no additional geometry.
Have a closer look at the ends, a real tube. Width is simply defined by a ramp. Resolution independent, always smooth.

And a simple EdgeRounding Shader, too ops:

Attachments:
no-tube-at-all.jpg (273.1 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
69 posts
+1 for the edge rounding shader. Anyone create a vex network for one of these babies?
93 posts
Baking tool.
For better wokflow for gamedev.
Hipoly model baking to lowpoly model.
This will increase the interest for Unity/Unreal users.
Staff
5156 posts
Paul Geraskin
Hipoly model baking to lowpoly model.

There's the PolyReduce and Remesh SOPs which do this, using different algorithms and interfaces.
1799 posts
Hey twod, I think this refers to the good Ole ability to bake color, normal, occlusion, etc from a Hires mesh to a game res mesh. We can do some of it using the gather loop vop in mantra, but it is definitely not an easy thing to do (especially tangent space normal maps)
-G
1755 posts
Overhauled modeling tools. Because I've never made my wish known before
Staff
5156 posts
grayOlorin
Hey twod, I think this refers to the good Ole ability to bake color, normal, occlusion, etc from a Hires mesh to a game res mesh. We can do some of it using the gather loop vop in mantra, but it is definitely not an easy thing to do (especially tangent space normal maps)

Ah. Yep, a good RFE then.
260 posts
Im missing option to offset the markers, option to see only fraction of values (not every point will display the value - purple values).
Same as its done in softimage ICE

Attachments:
01.PNG (91.9 KB)

• Quick Links