Houdini 16

130717   223   14
379 posts
Nice, like it.
379 posts
Edited by SreckoM - Jan. 26, 2017 14:27:44
14 posts
February 6. OK, but what time does the presentation start?
517 posts
So looking forward to this
Last time I was actually excited about a 3D app release was softimage 7 in 2008! It's so great to have a 3D app to really get into again.

Also I reckon the new node stuff is gonna make the current nodes look really dated
Staff
5156 posts
Reco
February 6. OK, but what time does the presentation start?

Feb 6, 7:00 PM – 11:30 PM GMT

http://sidefx.co/2jpoy6u [sidefx.co]
18 posts
Drunk SESI team trying to use all the stuff would be hilarious
41 posts
I'm new to the world of Houdini thus my first post here. I come from a background of using 3DS Max and still use LightWave. I wanted to add another piece of software to my toolkit and have always had my eye on Houdini since early days but pricing was way too prohibitive at that time.

I recently downloaded the software with the intent of using Houdini Apprentice to get familiar with the GUI and workflow. But Houdini Indie is an excellent price for a subscription-based option despite the (albeit minor) limitations compared to vanilla Houdini & Houdini FX. Just thinking to buy a perpetual FX license is like paying for Indie for almost 23 years! So I was thinking of simply skipping Apprentice and jump right to Indie.

However, with the upcoming introduction to Houdini 16 on Feb 6 livestream event I'm curious if SideFX will be offering any deals for FX for new/existing customers? If that were the case I'd probably invest into that option.

Cheers all!
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
Staff
2540 posts
moferad
Drunk SESI team trying to use all the stuff would be hilarious

I'm in!
There's at least one school like the old school!
636 posts
Pixel8d
However, with the upcoming introduction to Houdini 16 on Feb 6 livestream event I'm curious if SideFX will be offering any deals for FX for new/existing customers? If that were the case I'd probably invest into that option.

in the last couple of years i think SESI made no public discounts, they invest in contests and thanks to the indie license they have got now a price list that works for indie up to big studios.

the most expensive part from houdini is not the software it's the user that can handle it.
83 posts
“3D Mouse Support”"
Awesome
91 posts
I have been coming to the forum from November 2 times a day, every day

Just to see if there was sniff of any more info about < 16 >

I have watched “roadmap video” so many times. know the script by hart.

Genuine got goosebumps for this release.

This only 2 page post, but there are hundreds of people lurking in the shadows and just waiting for Monday.

I can not wait……….
Edited by gfxfx - Feb. 4, 2017 05:29:21
419 posts
you mean like this preview

Edited by sepu - Feb. 3, 2017 16:03:09
91 posts
yes just like that but that video just posted an hour a go…

was not up on vimeo before i posted my last post…….
3 posts
Nice, Amazing
53 posts

seen this?
-m-k-
83 posts
ambient-whisper
seen this?

WOW ! Sidefx has outdone itself ( and that is saying something )

Can't wait for the 16 indie version
Edited by nisachar - Feb. 3, 2017 19:59:09
53 posts
heh didnt realize it was already in this thead haha whoops. It didnt pop up when I scrolled through the thread before I posted for me.

The video looks sooooooo good. The only thing that worries me is the new nodes. I hope theres a snap distance to when you want to connect wires into nodes. I like the bit rectangles from before because it let you be rather loose with connections, unlike apps like world machine where you have to be very precise. Those circles look mighty small.

And.. I also hope that if you make custom otls that you can resize nodes so that if you make a lot of connections into a single node each connection can have an adequate amount of spacing so you can easily label each and you can then easily middle click to get info over them, etc. Right now if i make more than 4 it starts to get very crowded.
I also hope for houdini indie that redshift will be supported. I dont know if it is yet, but the second I hear that it is, I'm buying indie.
Edited by ambient-whisper - Feb. 3, 2017 22:30:48
-m-k-
Staff
3455 posts
ambient-whisper
I also hope for houdini indie that redshift will be supported. I dont know if it is yet, but the second I hear that it is, I'm buying indie.
it's in Alpha right now.
not sure how you can get access to it…but there are already some tutorials on how to use it:
https://vimeo.com/178602203 [vimeo.com]
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
41 posts
^
Just out of curiosity…what would make Redshift better than say Thea Render or Octane?

Asking because I'm also researching a 3rd party rendering solution to cover a variety of 3D software.
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
806 posts
Pixel8d
Just out of curiosity…what would make Redshift better than say Thea Render or Octane?

Let's see … there would be:
- speed
- performance
- lack of lag
- faster results
- quicker invoicing thanks to the above
- less waiting
- more time for important things in life

Oh, and it's faster, too, gives more performance and … speed.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
  • Quick Links