Camera pan with a "look at" constraint

1236   8   4
108 posts
Hello,
Probably a newbie question…

When I set a “look at” constraint on my camera, how can I well pan and navigate with my “look at” target ?
Here is what I get (cf. screenshot).

I would like to only move pivot with camera when I pan on viewport.

Any idea ?
Thank you

Attachments:
screenshot_CameraNavigation.mp4 (2.4 MB)

41 posts
That's freaky…. I was just about to ask the exact same thing. Either that or a feature request for a softimage style camera with aim.

+1 on this from me.

A>
H16.0.736 WIn7 64 Pro
i7-6900k @3.20
Quadro K4000 Driver 362.56
GTX1080 x2 Headless
1329 posts
I'm not sure what you are after. The camera is constrained, so the rotate channels are overridden. When you move the camera to a new position, even if interactively the view direction changes, the constraint will reset the view direction based on the constrained direction. It looks like you might be after some kind of “two-way” constraint, where the constrained location is translated interactively by moving the camera. Such an operation is not feature of the constraint tools. It would be possible to design such a tool, the scripting operations make pretty much anything possible. Such a tool would have to dynamically disable the constraint, update the look-at location by querying the viewer, and re-enabling the constraint. Feel free the request such a tool if you think it would enhance your workflow. You may not actually need a constraint if all you want to do is interact with the camera by adjusting a look-at target interactively. The built-in camera handle works this way when not viewing through the camera.
108 posts
Hello @jsmack,
Thank you for your explanation.

Yes, that would be a tool that dynamically disable the constraint, update the look-at location by querying the viewer, and re-enabling the constrain.
Is it doable ? How can I dynamically detect a pan viewer interaction within my camera ?
163 posts
@julca,
Houdini build in camera contain a temporary “look-at” with special handles, that's not exactly like in Softimage where this look-at is a reel null and the camera doesn't have any particular controlers in the viewport.
I found it working just fine in most anim cases.
Then, if needed, for now you can try the wonderfull QL camera rig ;-)
108 posts
Hi @NNois !

I'll check that, and also see if with time the defaults handles suit me.
Staff
956 posts
Houdini 17 will have a new option to continuously export the view changes to the camera so you don't get that snapping back to your camera interest on mouse release. This option effectively just applies the constraint after each processed mouse motion to give a smooth motion. I don't know whether this specifically addresses your particular problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
108 posts
Thank you for your feedback @Ondrej !
If I understand correctly, if I set a “look at” target constraint to my camera and pane in viewport, my camera will constantly facing target during operation.
What I ask for when I started this thread, is the possibility to pan with the “look at” target constraint moving in synchronization.

Anyway for now I use the defaults handle which give me good controls.
41 posts
I'm having to move my camera and aim null in a front/side/top view to get the camera to do what I want. The default setup of having to rotate the camera to get it to point at an object is a pain especially if your camera is moving all over the place and the object you're interested is also moving around. If I don't set up an aim null then my perspective camera will orbit around some arbitrary point in space rather than a specific point in space. Being able to lock down a point in space that the camera is looking at AND move the camera around with the ease of view tools is what I and i think Julca are after.

cheers,

A>
H16.0.736 WIn7 64 Pro
i7-6900k @3.20
Quadro K4000 Driver 362.56
GTX1080 x2 Headless
  • Quick Links