project "Houdini, a great modeler"

260594   609   9
655 posts
Would be nice if we have 3 edit nodes one after another to be able to “consolidate them” into one single edit node with all the operations inside.

Mostly a cosmetic thing I know but it will also allow for better readability and layout of scenes.

hope it makes sense.
636 posts
jordibares
Would be nice if we have 3 edit nodes one after another to be able to “consolidate them” into one single edit node with all the operations inside.

Mostly a cosmetic thing I know but it will also allow for better readability and layout of scenes.

hope it makes sense.

+1 count me in for this one :-)

i would like to see a single edit node with a list of all edits. when you select a line from the list it should highlight it on the viewport. or even better on selecting the node it will give you a color history(like when you use voronoi visualization) in the viewport. like that you can disable or delete some edits.
136 posts
Hi all,
I might be a bit old skool, but i think i need only few tools to model - cut/knife; extrude; weld points(can be extended to polys too); bevel; create poly. From this perspective my list of changes is:

- knife - can we update this tool to have the possibility to have multiple cuts; so i can control the number and distribution of cuts and also a manual mode with loop and single cuts at leas?

- weld points - can we have an interactive weld SELECTED points tool, so i can weld at least 2 and as many as i want welded where i click/point with mouse or at middle ;

- create polygon tool - from what i see this is missing totally

This is what i observed so far to be in deficit, but maybe someone else pointed this already. So sorry if this where already asked for/discussed. I also did not had time to dive into curves modeling, but they look quite powerful. And a bit out of topic, anyone started to take a look at shading(and maybe merge it with UV)?
Thanks,
Constantin
4189 posts
Good suggestions Constantin.

Not sure if McNistor is going to update the original page, it's quite out of date, compared to the forum posts. Should we RFE suggestions too as well as posting up here?
174 posts
Korny Klown2
NNois
I always dreamed about an extrude operator who substitute also to the bevel too. Bevel is sort of a duplicate/extrude/inset right ?
Except that the bevel follows the edge flow, where extrude + inset just gives you a flat surface even if you divide it. Also, with a bevel, the faces sharing the beveled edge stay in place where an extrude usually means to move one face, doesn't it?

NNois
So is there an already uber extrude tool packed somewhere ?
I actually don't like the idea of an uber node of whatever kind. These uber tools usaully mean that you have to either spend some time in the parameters to set it up for whatever you want …

Well that's totally why i'm pointing that here, you says for example “bevel follow edges flows” or “extrude usually mean…” well,
What if i would like it to he other way says relative to polygon like the extrude inset mode ! Giving option is always the key to a good tool and maybe tools sharing the same concepts could be better under only one tool as we can adjust the look faster.
136 posts
MartybNz
Good suggestions Constantin.

Not sure if McNistor is going to update the original page, it's quite out of date, compared to the forum posts. Should we RFE suggestions too as well as posting up here?

Not sure either. The idea is(same as in animation tools) to not change the paradigm or the worflow, to make just very specific changes without altering the way of Houdini doing things. In the case of the modeling i am sure no one wants to get rid of the proceduralism - it's very powerfull and what differentiate Houdini from others. Just to update a bit the tools and/or introduce few more. I guess RFE and updating is on the thread creator list of things. I'm not going to do it, i done it where i was most interested: animation. When i have time will do a couple on shading, but that's it.
37 posts
Constantin X
Hi all,
I might be a bit old skool, but i think i need only few tools to model - cut/knife; extrude; weld points(can be extended to polys too); bevel; create poly. From this perspective my list of changes is:

- knife - can we update this tool to have the possibility to have multiple cuts; so i can control the number and distribution of cuts and also a manual mode with loop and single cuts at leas?

- weld points - can we have an interactive weld SELECTED points tool, so i can weld at least 2 and as many as i want welded where i click/point with mouse or at middle ;

- create polygon tool - from what i see this is missing totally

This is what i observed so far to be in deficit, but maybe someone else pointed this already. So sorry if this where already asked for/discussed. I also did not had time to dive into curves modeling, but they look quite powerful. And a bit out of topic, anyone started to take a look at shading(and maybe merge it with UV)?
Thanks,
Constantin

Hi Constantin,

For the “create polygon tool”, you can use the curve tool (polygon mode). It's not very natural but it works!!
136 posts
katana13
Hi Constantin,

For the “create polygon tool”, you can use the curve tool (polygon mode). It's not very natural but it works!!

Hi Katana,
I know, but this is not what i am saying. Let's say that i have a model with an open edge. I want to be able to use the create polygon' tool to close that gap, or to extend from that edge. And no, i don't want ‘close cap’ operator. I need to manually do it - i need the freedom to create things. With other words i need a tool that can be applied in the modeling process to a polygonal object. If i have more free time will show you what i mean with screenshots.
Thank you
655 posts
I video would be great Cosntantin, these things are so obvious once you see the workflow it would be undeniable.
12447 posts
You might want to look at the PolyKnit operator, perhaps?
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
379 posts
Yes polyknit is what you need.
136 posts
SreckoM
Yes polyknit is what you need.

Thank you, it's what i was looking for. It looks like there are tools for all operations i mentioned: PolySplit; EdgeLoop; Fuse(for point weld if you go to unique tab it welds points at center) and PolyKnit.
Thank you very much,
Constantin
10 posts
Korny Klown2
Simon__hayes
what I would like to see is (and this has already been mentioned) is a single sop with a tree inside of it which contains all of the modelling features inside of it.

You mean something like a modeling network? Not that Houdini hasn't enough networks already

Basically but more just ability to encapsulate a modeling network in a SOP but with the ability to chose to evaluate the network within the encapsulating node or the final result.

I don't always need to go backwards through thousands of node when working on the topology of a face so if could encapsulate those nodes and and the choose to either read the final result or the network it would be useful.

I do not Really want an uber-node with all the features in a single node but for organic characters a network ca become huge and unnavigable you also have to evaluate all the nodes. It would be useful to be able to simplify the both the scene and the evaluation of the scene within the scene.
210 posts
Simon__hayes
Basically but more just ability to encapsulate a modeling network in a SOP but with the ability to chose to evaluate the network within the encapsulating node or the final result.

That's interessting because I thought about something similar. I called it the Freeze option. A node you can append to the end of whatever modeling part, this node would evaluate its input, store it in memory and outputs it as if you were just reading in an .obj with a file node.

I would also like to add something to the edit SOP discussion. The same behavior (list of edits in one node and so on, (see above)) would be nice for an edgeloop SOP. An edgeloop SOP that stores a list of all edgeloops one created, while this node is active. Most of the features that were discussed on the edit SOP can be easily translated to the edgeloop SOP, so I don't repeat them here but you'll gett the point.
4504 posts
Korny Klown2
That's interessting because I thought about something similar. I called it the Freeze option. A node you can append to the end of whatever modeling part, this node would evaluate its input, store it in memory and outputs it as if you were just reading in an .obj with a file node.

Locking a node does that exactly which could be any node instead of a specific one.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
12447 posts
You could look at this:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/model/lock_nodes [sidefx.com]

IIRC, at one stage in Houdini's long life there was a kind of “Remove History” menu item which did this freeze/lock for you – or did I dream that?
Staff
2540 posts
RMB on any geometry in the viewer.
Select Geometry > Delete History option
Locks the current SOP and deletes the entire upstream SOP tree.

Still there.
There's at least one school like the old school!
12447 posts
You have a beautiful memory, Jeff
210 posts
Ok, nice to know that.
Delete history is not what I'm searching for but locking sounds interessting. So far I was thinking that locking a node just locks it, so that you can't perform changes but is it actually more memory friendly or does it evaluate the nodetree upstream anyway?
Is this locking accessable via some checkbox or so in the UI or at least via expression?
606 posts
Korny Klown2
jason_iversen
You could look at this:
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/model/lock_nodes [sidefx.com]
So far I was thinking that locking a node just locks it, so that you can't perform changes but is it actually more memory friendly or does it evaluate the nodetree upstream anyway?
Is this locking accessable via some checkbox or so in the UI or at least via expression?

Isn't that just what the Houdini locking is?

If you need to edit the parameters, you just lock the node above.
  • Quick Links