SideFX is proud to announce the HOULY Daily Challenge where Houdini artists can compete for cool prizes by creating a new image or animation everyday during the month of July. Each week has a theme and each day has a topic to help inspire you on your journey.
The following calendar shows each of the daily topics and weekly themes:
How to Enter
On July 1, a HOULY Daily challenge forum will be made available and a thread for each of the topics will appear. Create your artwork using Houdini products, including Indie and Apprentice, and render using Karma, Mantra or third party renderers working from within the Houdini environment. Any compositing work should be done using COPS.
Submit your work to these forums in order for your artwork to be considered. To win the daily prize, you must have your entry posted before Midnight EDT on each day. You may submit art to any of the topics throughout the month but your work will only be eligible for the daily prizes if you submit before the daily deadline. You will still be eligible for an entry point and the Iron Man prize if you submit after the topic date. The whole forum will be closed on July 31 at Midnight EDT so the judges can review all the completed work.
You are also encouraged to post your work on Instagram with the hashtags #houly2020 and #hl<topic_name>. These will be used to repost your work to the SideFX account to help choose the Best Weekly/People's Choice award.
How to Win
There are a number of different ways to win with the HOULY Daily Challenge:
All entries will be reviewed by a panel of Judges and on a daily basis the top 3 entries will be rewarded points.
Daily winners will be awarded Houdini T-shirts.
1st PLACE: 5 pts
2nd PLACE: 3 pts
3rd PLACE: 2 pts
ENTRY: 1 pts
The artist with the most points after 31 days.
BEST WEEKLY | PEOPLE'S CHOICE
UPDATE: Based on the number of entries coming in, we're making a change to how we handle this award category:
At the end of the week, we will take the three winners from each day and post them in a FORUM thread where everyone can vote with a thumbs up. We will count the number of likes over the next seven days and award a winner for that week.
[Old Rules: The best for each category/week will be chosen based on social media likes.]
From the winning entries for each day, our panel of judges will pick the top three overall.
Everyone who submits entries for all 31 challenges will win a HOUDINI SWAG PACK.
More details about the prizes will be added at a later date. Prizes will include:
- Houdini licenses
- Skull Canyon NUCs from Intel
- Swag Packs.
This contest is open to any 3D artist anywhere in the world. All entries must be received on or before the closing date.
- This contest is void where prohibited.
- Employees of SideFX or any of their agents may participate in the contest but are not eligible to win.
- The judges' decision is final.
- SideFX is not responsible for submissions that arrive late, or are lost or damaged during submission.
- If the prize cannot be awarded due to unforeseen circumstances, no cash alternatives are available.
- Artwork created for these challenges must be created using Houdini products. Winners will be asked to submit .hip files to verify that Houdini was used for all aspects of the designs. If you do not submit the files then you will be disqualified.
- External texture maps may be used as part of your submission but geometry and motion must be created in Houdini.
- All content must be the property of the submitter. If you are running Houdini on an employer or school computer make sure that this does not compromise your ownership rights.
- Entries that clearly infringe on the copyrights of another company will be disqualified.
- Your entry in the contest constitutes an agreement to allow SideFX unrestricted use and distribution of the artwork submitted.
Q. Can third party render engines such as Redshift be used?
A. Yes as long as they are set up to render inside Houdini.
Q. Are Indie and Apprentice users eligible?
Q. Are we allowed to use SideFX Labs, MOPs and or QLibs?
A. Yes plug-ins and third party tools are also allowed.
Q. Are multiple submissions allowed?
A. Only one submission per day per artist is allowed.
Q. Can I output the animation using flipbooks?
A. Yes. You can use the Viewport OpenGL to output your entry.
Q. Can Megascans/Substance be used?
A. Megascan and other 3rd party models models are not allowed in the contest. Megascan and Substance textures are allowed.
Q. How will the Best Weekly/People's Choice really calculated?
A. [Updated] At the end of the week, we will take the three winners from each day and post them in a FORUM thread where everyone can vote with a thumbs up. We will count the number of likes over the next seven days and award a winner for that week.
Q. Do I need to enter every day to win?
A. Not necessarily. There are four ways to win - see the rules above for more details.
Q. Are groups allowed?
A. No, this contest is designed for individual artists.